rental property investment criteria

rental property investment criteria

Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island · Member since 2014 · 188 posts · 114 votes

to me criteria for ranking rental investments opportunities between different areas can be understood by looking into the components of the net rental yield:

  • rental gross income
  • vacancy rate
  • expenses, local and state taxes

rental income and vacancy rate evolution will be influenced by demographics: whether population increases and how median income moves. So I would look at these fundamental data rather than just see if prices have increased year on year (which just indicates the gross income is getting worse)

Would you add any criteria?

According to you, where are the best rental yields (both bet yield and potential increase) in the US?

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    The Best Real Estate Investment Markets Last Year on the BiggerPockets forums http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/25/topics/238837-best-real-estate-investment-markets-last-year Here's an interesting read
  • Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island · Member since 2014 · 188 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Well, yes, but why are the criteria in the list opaque?

    What if this article is the result of some journalist asking several pros and putting their answers together, and peppering it with comments on year on year price increase.

    I prefer this so as to see yields and unemployment for myself:

    http://www.worldpropertyjournal.com/north-america-...

    I asked friends, what you get is availability bias on some market that was good 3 years ago. I tried asking pros, they would give you an answer that advances own agenda.

    In a world where data is so cheap, I think it is best to check a list of criteria and go for the data?

    So I ask a forum what people use to compare areas ^^.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.