Advice on buying worker's comp insurance as homeowner/flipper in CA?

Advice on buying worker's comp insurance as homeowner/flipper in CA?

Oakland, CA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 0 votes

We're doing our second flip, and I'm considering buying our own worker's comp policy for workers on our project who we know don't have worker's comp (unlicensed/uninsured painters, carpenters etc). Yes, I realize it's much easier to just hire contractors who carry liability and worker's comp, and we're doing this for much of the work, but for smaller projects/day laborers, I'd like to have our own worker's comp even if it means everyone we're covering then becomes an employee (with payroll tax, etc). 

Any advice on how best to go about this? (I was told I needed to be a licensed contractor in order to even buy this, but I've since been told that's not true.)

Any other tips re: ways to avoid taking on liability for worker injuries for knowingly or unknowlingly uninsured workers?

Thank you

0Reply
12 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.