Purchase Foreclosures with FHA Loan?

Purchase Foreclosures with FHA Loan?

Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 91 posts · 19 votes

Sorry if this question has been answered before. I tried to look around for information regarding this but didn't find anything to helpful. So a long time ago when I first kind of heard about purchasing foreclosures I was under the impression that you had to pay for them in cash (I think I had this drilled into my head from when I was young or something). After a bit more research that doesn't seem to be the case.

I was curious, is it possible to purchase a foreclosure from the bank with an FHA loan (3.5% down)?

Also, how do banks price foreclosures? Do they just sell them for what the defaulting party owed on it? Do they mark them up from that price or down?

If a bank is asking X amount of money for a foreclosure that let’s just say it doesn't need any work for simplicity, at what % discount should I be looking for offer/get. The reason I am asking is I see many foreclosures that seem to be way under market value, how do I know what a bank is willing to let it go for?

Thanks guys,

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Ues you can buy a REO with a FHA loan, assuming 1) the property condition qualifies and 2) you qualify as to income, credit score, DTI, etc. first step is talk to a FHA lender and get Completely preapproved...submit bank statements, actual tax returns, etc. ( not just W-2's). No. And will accept your financed offers it hour a preapproval, and your DU report from your lender will help. What price they will accept is unknown, but usually within 10% or so of ask. They are trying to get as close to market value as possible, irrelevant of what was owed.

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 91 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Wayne Brooks! very helpful

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.