How should I Proceed With This Deal in Philadelphia

How should I Proceed With This Deal in Philadelphia

Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 8 votes

Good Evening BP Nation,

I have a potential opportunity to put together a deal but am not exactly sure how to proceed.

Situation: My mother-in-law owns a house in the Point Breeze neighborhood in Philadelphia. There is no mortgage on the property and she will literally give it to my wife and I to do what we want with it. However, she hasn't lived in the house in 10 years and it is probably just a shell at this point (we are getting someone to go and take pictures of the property this weekend since we live out of state). I've checked the county records and know that she owes 6K in back taxes. There are probably gas and water liens to go along with the property liens. The ARV for that area is 75K and it could rent for 1K a month.

I would like to either 1) wholesale the property 2) flip it or 3) rent the property (my least preferred exit strategy). My primary objective would be to control the property (FSBO?) without paying money out of pocket and sell to another investor who can then flip it or do a buy and hold. However, if I can make considerably more money by flipping it myself then I would do so. If I did decide to flip it, how could I do so and avoid paying all of the taxes and liens on the front end? If you were me, what kind of deal would you put together? I look forward to your feedback. Thank you and God bless.

John

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Feasterville Trevose, PA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 31 votes
11y

You could sell it traditionally and pay the back taxes and liens at settlement. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 158 posts · 124 votes
    11y

    Get your mother-in-law to put the house in a trust, with you as the executor. Transferring property to a trust tends not to trigger payments due to creditors.

    Although you very well might be able to transfer title without the liens coming due, depends on the specific Philly laws

  • Investor · Feasterville Trevose, PA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    You could sell it traditionally and pay the back taxes and liens at settlement. 

  • Realtor/Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 114 posts · 38 votes
    11y

    If it were me...

    I'd consider my time, interest, and status of the debts. Then I would work out the financials for the following options:

    • Wholesale it as is
    • Partner with someone who has boots on the ground and manages the flip
    • Partner with someone who has boots on the ground to rehab and then hold
    • List the property with a Realtor and try to get retail value

    If you are planning to flip it, then I would pay the taxes/liens up front or at least contact the agencies and get (IN WRITING) confirmation that they will not force a sale for x amount of time (I'm not certain this would be possible and seems like too much headache). I'm sure someone else can add clarity to this option.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 80 votes
    11y

    @Johnathan Butler

     Point breeze is my backyard.  I live very close to the area.  If you need any help with something let me know, I will do my best

  • Accountant · NJ · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    I am a heavy investor in the Point breeze area of Philadelphia.  If you message me an address I will be able to give you numbers instantly.  

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 90 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    I invest in the point breeze area, I would be interested in buyer or partnering with you if its a good deal.  Inbox me if you are interested.

  • Investor · Feasterville Trevose, PA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    I would offer to list it, but it looks like you could have plenty of buyers here.  Lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.