VA Loan - Personal Residence to Investment Property

VA Loan - Personal Residence to Investment Property

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 1 vote

Hey, BP Community,

I purchased a townhome in Jan '14 with my VA loan. My girlfriend and I decided to move in together a few months ago (into her place) and I made the decision to keep my townhome as an investment property. I signed a 2-year lease yesterday :)

Question: Am I obligated to do anything with my loan, like a refi? I don't think that I am because it was my primary residence when I purchased it, and I used it as such for a year. Secondly, if I am not obligated to do something with the loan, should I? The current loan is a 5/1 ARM. I only plan on holding the property for another 3-4 years before pursuing a sale, however, I think I'll be pursuing another primary residence in that timeframe and would like to use my VA benefits. I know I can have 2 VA loans open, as long as I don't exceed my total benefits, but I'm wondering if I should just refi out of my current loan so that I have max benefits/leverage when I purchase my next house.

I know there is a million variables, but wanted to hear some feedback from others who may have used a VA loan to purchase a primary residence, then ended up using it as a loan on an investment property.

Thanks!

Josh

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 124 votes
    11y

    @Joshua Iachini

    My wife and I have done the same thing; lived in a house we bought with a VA loan, then moved and now use it as a rental.

    If you're certain you will sell in 3-5 years, let it stay as an ARM, as I'm sure it's a lower interest rate. And no, you aren't obligated to refi at all.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thanks, @Brooks Rembert. Reassuring to here that I haven't broken any rules!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.