Why are RE Sale Prices Always Whole Numbers

Most Popular Reply

Clinton, MD · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 20 votes
12y

To me, the extra digits after the period make it look like a lot bigger price. $132,340.12 looks a lot more expensive than $132,000 at a glance.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    You can but there is really no point. 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    I am considering listing my property at $179, 352. 29...

     I'll buy it for 138,199.39!  And not a penny more!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Brandon Sturgill 

    this is done frequently it follows the auto industry... In markets and or pockets of markets were your actually selling to homeowners and not markets that are saturated with investors buying SFR's for rentals.. many times people will set up search's on MLS for say 400k and under.. So yes we write our listing at 399,950.00 to catch top dollar but also be included in the buyers 400k search parameters.... I personally have done this for 40 years I like it.

  • Investor · Whitefish Bay, WI · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    I'm not sure what you are hoping to accomplish with that price.  Pennies are not going to make or break a deal.  If I wrote an offer on a house with a price like that I would use whole numbers.

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Troy Fisher:
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    I am considering listing my property at $179, 352. 29...

     I'll buy it for 138,199.39!  And not a penny more!

    SOLD!!!

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Brandon Sturgill 

    this is done frequently it follows the auto industry... In markets and or pockets of markets were your actually selling to homeowners and not markets that are saturated with investors buying SFR's for rentals.. many times people will set up search's on MLS for say 400k and under.. So yes we write our listing at 399,950.00 to catch top dollar but also be included in the buyers 400k search parameters.... I personally have done this for 40 years I like it.

     Thanks, Jay

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Troy Owen:

    I'm not sure what you are hoping to accomplish with that price.  Pennies are not going to make or break a deal.  If I wrote an offer on a house with a price like that I would use whole numbers.

     Thanks, Troy...I guess I want to be the only house on the market with a crazy price...I am a non-conformist...

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Clinton, MD · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    To me, the extra digits after the period make it look like a lot bigger price. $132,340.12 looks a lot more expensive than $132,000 at a glance.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I will make offers on highest and best deals with weird numbers. $72,421 just incase someone offers $72,400 or something. I think using pennies is silly and the MLS probably will not even let you input pennies.

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    To me, the extra digits after the period make it look like a lot bigger price. $132,340.12 looks a lot more expensive than $132,000 at a glance.

     Good point, Kelly

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:

    I will make offers on highest and best deals with weird numbers. $72,421 just incase someone offers $72,400 or something. I think using pennies is silly and the MLS probably will not even let you input pennies.

     Thanks, Mark. I like the offer strategy.

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    I am considering listing my property at $179, 352. 29...

    Banks are notorious for increasing the bid by exactly $1 during auctions... sounds like you are really pro-penny. :-)

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Dave you are BP's gif king...or is it jpeg? Whatever, you got it! :-)

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Mary B. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    I am considering listing my property at $179, 352. 29...

     Why round it off to the nearest penny? Price it like gasoline at $179,352.28 9/10. Clearly it works well for the oil companies.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Our MLS doesn't do pennies, so you would have no choice but to list for whole numbers in my area (assuming you are listing in MLS).

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    For many years, Harvard University would have all contract prices end with 1636.  Whether you asked for it or not.  Your $100k contract would paid with a check for $100,016.36.  To honor the year of the university's founding.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    I am considering listing my property at $179, 352. 29...

     First, thanks for the chuckle!  I'm still smiling as I write this.

    To add to what Jay said, there are certain breaking points in real estate.  People will look for houses, say, $150 to $175K range or the $175K to $225K range.  (Those are 4 breaking points there.)   If you want people in the former range to look at your house you may want to price it just under $175K.  For the people in the latter range, they may miss your house if you price it at $174,900, but it may not compete well with other houses in that range.

    As for adding weird numbers, I dunno, let us know how it goes.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2009 · 22 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    If you wiki psychological pricing, you'll discover what retailers use and why. That may help you too. Some real estate pundits swear by 7 rather than 9. I have tested several approaches and haven't found that 7vs 9 or round versus exact numbers work better. However, price does matter...it needs to be the amount you'd be willing to sell for. Don't start high and drop.  A high days on market is the kiss of death for a listing. Start low and sell fast.

  • Rental Property Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2011 · 105 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    I too, use the odd number for my offers just to make them potentially a smidge higher than another offer.  Not sure the odd number on the pricing of the listing would make a big splash though. 

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Crazy odd numbers wouldn't make any difference to me.

    Somewhat odd numbers (Like $162,700, say) make me think that the property is an REO and the price is marking down according to some algorithm.

  • milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    After losing a few properties to very minor higher bids, I now always give a strange highest and best offer - like @Brandon Sturgill I will give an offer that is $101,127 - just in case the other guy only gives $101,100. One thing to consider, is if you are using traditional financing, the loan may be for a weird amount like $80,017.50. I'm in the process of getting a loan right now that has that. You need to be meticulous when reviewing the price information (as well as everything else) - as it is often listed wrong. My learning is that when financing, weird offer numbers make for difficult math. 

    Good Luck!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Mark Ferguson 

      I have often used odd numbers when offering on properties.. Seller thinks your really looking into the deal in detail.

    When I bought at auction or court house steps I bought a crap load of properties were I was willing to go 57 dollars more .. as in my completion had a whole number in mind and quit bidding.

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for responding, all. I think there may be some potential use for this strategy...

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.