Vacation Rentals The Good The Bad-The Possibilities?

Vacation Rentals The Good The Bad-The Possibilities?

Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 3 votes

I live in San Diego-a destination city for many visitors.  I'm moving to Nashville in September, and my tenant who rented my spare room and bathroom for $800/month left--and had no income from that for July.  I was struggling and stressing out and wondering HOW can I make some money-fast-to help pay the bills so I'm not stressing about my move, etc.   It hit me--rent my space out.....I decided to start renting out my spare room to people passing through San Diego (airBnB) and also posting my condo entirely as a rental on VRBO.  The first day my post when live which was July 16th, I was bombarded with requests (65 requests in 3 days!).  In fact, my space is booked from July 16th-27th.  In that time, 3 people will have used my space. I'm making more money in those days then what I rented it out for an entire month!

I'm only doing this for 6 weeks, through August because I need $$.  I have no other way to bring money in besides using my Real Estate to help me produce income. 

I even posted my space on a site that welcomes students who are on an exchange 'just to see if I got any bites', and because I'm so close to 3 universities, I've had students interested 1 to 3 months to study or do an exchange that need temporary housing.  Except they can't afford much, so it doesn't make sense for me to rent to them when I can make that $800 I would earn in month renting to them in 1 week.  

But just those requests got me thinking about future RE purchases and ways to make money....Perhaps putting 2 twin beds in a room or a bunk bed, and renting it out for 3 months to foreign exchange students.  One room would produce $1400/month.  In Los Angeles, homeowners do this all the time because people are coming and going from that city, and many don't have a lot of money for rent, 1st & last, etc.  

Is this a possible idea?  Has anyone else done this?  Concerns? Rewards?

This new experience got me thinking about vacation rentals too---do you have any ideas on solid vacation markets-where RE is still affordable, but the demand is very high?

Anyone have any vacation rental stories to share?  Liabilities?  

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

hahahahaha.

As it happens...

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/136498-evicting-renter-from-a-vacation-rental-property

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    hahahahaha.

    As it happens...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/136498-evicting-renter-from-a-vacation-rental-property

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
  • Real Estate Investor · Yakima, WA · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 25 votes
    12y
    Oh come on guys! Sending her to the one-in-a-million horror story right off the bat! You should be ashamed! Lol. That story definitely has some really good lessons in it though! My suggestion for finding good prices in high demand areas is to maybe look at some smaller markets close to where you live. Are there some smaller cities or towns, that have a specific draw (like wine tours or something) that are maybe a touch off the beaten path. Yeah people love to go to San Diego, LA, or SF, but they also love del mar and Santa Cruz! I have no idea if RE is more affordable there, but you get the idea.
  • Engineer · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 76 votes
    11y

    @Juliette V. Did you continue to use airbnb and vrbo when you moved to Nashville?

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Hey, no idea--never did it in Nash.  I live in San Diego.  I'm buying a property in nash as an investment -- And, my property in Nashville--will need to have stable tenants in it because I can't manage it from San Diego.  I have a wonderful plan to maximize rent though in the Nashville property, and I'll make more money.  So, I'm excited because I want to pay it off  sooner than later!!!!   Do you have property there?  I do it in San Diego--and it's great.  I rent out my spare room and bathroom---to vacationers or business people. The money is great, and it's a win-win situation for me.  I make extra money and I love meeting new people -- it's wonderful.  However, I'm only doing it now seasonally.... I just started in July.  I asked myself over night how I can make extra money---and the idea came to me!  I use those services myself when I travel, so for me and my lifestyle it really works!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.