Would you invest in high growth area alongside new construction?

Would you invest in high growth area alongside new construction?

Midland, TX · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 1 vote

New investor in West Texas. Big fan of the blog, podcast and the forums. Extremely helpful in learning the ropes.

I need help narrowing down my farm area. I have decided Lubbock is where I want to invest in single family long term rentals. However, there are several markets within Lubbock and I can't figure out which will provide better long-term cash flow and appreciation.

1. Student rentals: Over 40,000 college students in the area so lots of demand, however seems like a very "efficient market" i.e. savvy sellers, lots of supply and of course student tenants. Also, older houses.

2. Rapidly growing suburbs with good public schools: The southwest part of town has booming population growth, tons of new retail and great schools. However, there is new home construction on what seems like every corner and undeveloped farmland as far as the eye can see. Will there be appreciation if new supply is imminent?

3. Older, more established neighborhoods: Land-locked so no new supply is coming but demographics seem to be slowly shifting and schools are going downhill.

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 63 votes
    12y
    If I were you I'd go with number 2. My area (Northern VA) is experiencing a lot of growth and the trend can be seen in rising home prices. Get in there- it seems demand is high and there is room to grow. Not to mention that CF will be harder to obtain as prices go up. Do whatever you feel is best in your area. You know your market better than I do. The student rental market also seems like it could be lucrative considering you can command higher rents btw. Peace~ JE
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 83 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    @Steven Ellington i always look at investing in the 'path of progress', which you described pretty well in scenario 2. i'd look for properties that will give you solid returns #2.

    avoid areas of decline. there are creative things you can do with student housing to boost your returned (e.g., rent by the room), higher returns, but more turnover.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.