Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Albert Hepp
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
For those who think the new MLS Realtor rule changes are bad for buyers

Albert Hepp
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted

Let's go over some examples and show me where you think the buyer is harmed:

My opinion/perspective: The buyer has really been paying for the buyer agent commission all along. Because Sellers care about their net proceeds, the amount they are going to walk away with after all the transaction costs have been paid. Proof of what the seller cares about exists in every transaction where the seller provides a concession to assist their buyers with their closing costs.

Example 1, the Old way:

Buyer offers $100k, seller pays 6%, seller nets $94k. Buyer starting mortgage balance is $90k (assuming 10% down)

Example 2, the New rules way:

Buyer offers $97k, pays their agent $3k, seller pays their agent 3%, seller nets $94k. Buyer starting mortgage balance is $90k (assuming 10% down) because mortgage rules changed to enable commission to be added to mortgage balance. If a mortgage program doesn't change their rules, the difference is negligible, starting mortgage balance would be $87.3. Buyer's agent could/should also negotiate a seller credit that makes the offer $100k, with $3k credit for buyer agent compensation, again resulting in a seller net of $94k.

But now buyer has the opportunity to agree with their agent that the rate should be 2%, or a flat fee of $2k, and the buyer then pockets that savings. Before the buyer really never had a chance to determine their agent's compensation.

Loading replies...