Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Savage
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
mid life property portfolio evaluation

Mike Savage
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Posted

So after a recent call w our amazing accountant he said something that hit me hard. he said after 40 years w his clients he's observed that its easy to get into real estate investing and much harder to exit real estate investing. In our case i'm very concerned w high transaction costs if we sell. for our smallest property he did some quick calculations and came up with approx. $150k hit on a $550k sale price. Currently We own 3 doors. 2 SFH plus a condo all in Multnomah County. We have been debating selling or holding on to them for years. All 3 properties are cash flowing at a low single digit rate but have nice appreciation and 10 years left on loan. I manage all properties myself plus I'm HOA president at the 5 unit condo. Some situational pressures are a somewhat wobbly rental market due to economic conditions (Nike/Intel layoffs). we've had some vacancies in the past few years. that never happened in 20 years of renting. rent prices have not been keeping up with increase in property taxes which diminishes our cash flow. Tenant laws making it much more complicated to be a property owner in Multnomah county. I Would love to hear what others are thinking these days. Looking for an intelligent strategy for moving forward. Feeling a bit stuck.

Loading replies...