Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Dakhnovets
  • Property Manager
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Age old question: Cashflow vs Appreciation

Phillip Dakhnovets
  • Property Manager
  • Toledo, OH
Posted

Hello my friends,

I recently came across a BiggerPockets podcast about Cashflow vs. Appreciation, and this quote by David Greene really stood out:

"Everyone I have ever talked to has always said: Location, Location, Location... buy in the right area, with the right schools... the appreciation you get will trump any bit of cashflow that you thought was important, and you won't have the headaches."

I have experience with both and can definitely say that cashflow is nice in the beginning because it gives you freedom, but appreciation is what makes you wealthy. Appreciation is a bit riskier since it depends on factors we can't always control, such as school levies passing, business success, crime reduction, etc.

In my opinion, it’s hard as a newbie to jump into appreciation properties, as they require a lot more initial capital to acquire. Plus, it’s easier to learn and perfect your processes on cashflow properties because they provide an income cushion for any mistakes you might make.

Looking at the Greater Toledo market, there are obvious cashflow areas, but what about the appreciation spots? If you were to invest $100K+ of your own money into one property, where would you go?

Thank you for all the great replies,

Phillip Dakhnovets
Guardian Property Management & Maintenance

Loading replies...