Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Whelpley
Votes |
Does it make sense to buy for rental property that doesn't hit 1% rule if I Househack

Posted Aug 8 2024, 10:23

I have been listening to the bigger pockets podcasts for a very long time and have been in analysis paralysis for years. I plan to take the risk ASAP and am looking at a rental property that I plan to house hack. I plan to live in the unit for a couple years before moving out and buying another property. The property does not hit the 1% rule currently but I believe with all the continued development in the community that within the next couple years I can raise rent enough to hit the 1% rule. What would you do? it is in Massachusetts so appreciation is there but cashflow has always been lacking. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Muska
  • Lender
  • Saddle Brook, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Saddle Brook, NJ
Replied Aug 8 2024, 12:04

In high cost areas, it may be virtually impossible to cashflow/hit the 1% rule today. However, 5-10yrs down the line, that 1% rule may be very easily attainable. Also, everyone is anticipating much lower rates over the next 12-18months, so if you purchase today you will most likely refinance to a lower rate in the coming few years.

With Real Estate it's important to remember not only that it is a long term investment, but that there are many ways to make money on the asset. Cash flow is only one of them. 

I'd say, if you aren't too far in the negative with the property's expenses and you are able to see growth in the area's future, then go for it and don't get discouraged if you face difficulties in the beginning. Everyone here is still learning, and we all started our journey somewhere.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel McDonald
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 15:48

Both of my househacks are in MA and neither meet the 1% rule. It’s rare in MA unless you’re shopping less desirable areas. It’s 100% worth it if you are in an appreciating area and you can afford it. I didn’t house hack to just cash flow after I moved out. I house hacked to lower my cost of living, which i did. So don’t let the 1% rule hold you back. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Aug 8 2024, 17:21

Don't go by any 'rules'.  Look at the numbers and what the norm is for the area.  If you are living in one unit, will you be paying less than you currently are renting?  If you rented out both sides, what would the numbers look like?  Some areas will not cash flow simply because of how the market is.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Aug 9 2024, 02:50

@Nicholas Whelpley

To assess a property's potential beyond the 1% rule, consider factors like cash flow, market trends, income streams, house hacking benefits, risk management, long-term vision, and professional advice. In high-appreciation markets like Massachusetts, properties can still be great investments due to rent increases and appreciation. Professional advice from local experts can provide insights.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA)
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA)
Replied Aug 9 2024, 08:08

For house hacking, more important than the 1% rule is to see if it will cash flow when you move out. If it can support itself as a rental you should be in good shape. 

In addition, hopefully living there while renting out the other units makes your housing expense cheaper, allowing you to save more for the next investment.