Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Mohit Gadkari
Votes |
Real Estate Investing in or outside CA?

Mohit Gadkari
Posted Jul 21 2024, 16:45

Hi All,  Wanted to get an opinion, how is it to invest in Fresno CA or look for other markets outside CA?

I currently rent out in San Diego.

Mohit

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:37

@Mohit Gadkari

You can make any market work with the right strategy. As with any market you don't live in you'll need to find a good team.  Out of State Reno, NV has good opportunities for appreciation and cash flow potential. Landlord friendly and low property taxes combined with how close it is to CA it makes visiting properties and building a team easier.  Interview lots of agents, property managers, and contractors to get to know the up and coming areas. 

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:53

There are some great opportunities in the Ohio markets. Many investors from California are choosing to invest in the Midwest because of the low barrier to entry and yearly cash returns making more sense in these lower priced markets. Ohio markets show up 3 times in Zillow’s 2024 hottest markets, with Columbus and Cincinnati taking the top 2 and 3 spots. I moved from Florida to start investing in Columbus because of the same reason.

https://www.zillow.com/learn/hottest-housing-markets-2024/

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
  • Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio
Replied Jul 23 2024, 12:56

Hey Mohit, welcome to BP! Out-of-state investing can be done successfully, but having a team in place in important. Your Core 4 Real Estate team will play a very important role in your success.

As for other markets to check out, it really comes down to what you're aiming for. If you're seeking a reliable income stream, check out Cleveland OH. It has a strong potential for cash flow. On the other hand, if your focus is on appreciation, Columbus is the place to be. The appealing aspect here is the ongoing population growth and other economic factors. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 13:08
Quote from @Mohit Gadkari:

Hi All,  Wanted to get an opinion, how is it to invest in Fresno CA or look for other markets outside CA?

Mohit

You should try doing a house hack locally. That is what I did when I first started here in Ohio. Prices are a lot cheap than San Diego, though

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Jul 23 2024, 16:35

@Mohit Gadkari I suggest a house hack locally. Its investing on training wheels. Now SD area isnt cheap so if you arent careful and have the right guidance you might end up buying a crap deal. I would focus on running numbers daily until you see what the best path forward is. HH in SD, Rentals OOS or in Fresno.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 17:56
Quote from @Mohit Gadkari:

Mohit

Hi Mohit, look into markets that have great macroeconomics such as Columbus OH. You can see big companies moving and developing here like Intel, FB, Honda, Google, Amazon, etc, population growth, and job growth! A lot of my clients from California have been successful in finding BRRRR and flip deals here that hit the 1% rule, cashflowing, and will appreciate a great deal within the next few years. You can still find deals here at a very cheap price point around $120k-$180k. Just make sure that when you look at markets outside CA, work with a realtor who is also an investor and can plug you in with their system and network of GCs, PMs, lenders, etc. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Mohit Gadkari
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2024, 21:35

Thanks for all the responses!! I truly appreciate it , learning every day