Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nandish Desai
  • Investor
  • MA
Votes |
DSCR Close as individual

Nandish Desai
  • Investor
  • MA
Posted Jul 19 2024, 08:56

My wife and I bought our first condo in our own names. We recently sold that condo to 1031 exchange. We had bought the condo with a conventional mortgage in our individual names. For 1031 exchange, we can't close the new property in a LLC due to tax purposes. Are there lenders that do DSCR but close in individual names? Confused because DSCR by nature looks at the income the property is generating and not your personal income or credit I believe.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 19 2024, 10:42

Yes, you can close in the individuals name with DSCR. Please let us know if you need any assistance with this as we're a local mortgage brokerage located in Fall River MA. (Troy City Mortgage)

-All The Best, Jeffrey Blais

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 19 2024, 10:44
Quote from @Nandish Desai:

My wife and I bought our first condo in our own names. We recently sold that condo to 1031 exchange. We had bought the condo with a conventional mortgage in our individual names. For 1031 exchange, we can't close the new property in a LLC due to tax purposes. Are there lenders that do DSCR but close in individual names? Confused because DSCR by nature looks at the income the property is generating and not your personal income or credit I believe.

It will depend on the state, but yes you can close on a DSCR loan in your individual name. DSCR lenders will still look at your personal credit, reserves, background, and experience. It is not entirely property dependent.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 19 2024, 11:51

Hi Nandish,

Some DSCR lenders mandate it some don’t, depends who you work with. Happy to connect and educate more on the nuances DSCR financing. Local to you in Mass as well! Let’s connect. 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 06:36

Hey @Nandish Desai!

Congrats on the sale of your condo. Yes, you can absolutely close a DSCR loan in your personal name. Some lenders won't allow it, but there are lenders that do. it is a business purpose loan - you'll need to sign a form stating that you won't be occupying the property and your rate may be slightly higher than if you were to close in an LLC. DSCR loans DO look at your personal credit, as most of them still require a personal guarantee even if closing in an LLC. To qualify, the income from the property will need to be equal to or greater than the monthly principal, interest, taxes, insurance and HOA (where applicable). Your personal income, employment history and DTI is not relevant with this loan type.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, happy to connect! 

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 20 2024, 09:20

Like other posters have mentioned - it will likely vary by lender - but generally most states will be OK with either Individual or LLC but there are a handful of states that due to various regulatory interpretations will require a LLC (or require a LLC to have prepayment penalties on the loan structure)

Borrower = Individual or Entity AL, AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD,
MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC,
SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY
Borrower = Entity only GA, FL, IA, MT, RI, VA
(1-4 Units) Prepayment Allowed Vested Entities Only IL, NJ