Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Grant Stepanic
Votes |
Fix & Flip Vs. Buy & Hold

Grant Stepanic
Posted Jul 17 2024, 05:50

In today's market, it can be hard for some people to tell what they should do with a specific property. So I asked myself, in todays market is it better to fix & flip or buy & hold?

Deciding between fix & flip and buy & hold real estate strategies depends on your financial goals, risk tolerance, and time commitment. Here are some factors to consider for each strategy:

**Fix & Flip:**
1. Profit Potential: Fix & flip can offer quick returns if you buy properties below market value, make strategic renovations, and sell at a higher price.

2. Short-Term Commitment: You're involved in the property for a shorter duration (typically months to a year), which can mean less exposure to market fluctuations but requires intensive management during renovations.

3. Active Income: Profits from fix & flips are considered active income, subject to ordinary income tax rates, unless structured through a business entity.

4. *Risks:* There are risks such as unexpected renovation costs, longer holding periods, and market downturns affecting the sale price.

**Buy & Hold:**
1. Long-Term Appreciation: Buy & hold focuses on long-term wealth accumulation through property appreciation and rental income.

2. Stable Income: Rental income provides a steady cash flow, potentially offering passive income once expenses and mortgage payments are covered.

3. Tax Benefits: Long-term capital gains tax rates may apply when selling after holding the property for more than a year, potentially offering tax advantages over active income.

4. Market Stability: Buy & hold strategies generally benefit from market appreciation over time, though local market conditions can affect rental demand and property values.

**Market Considerations:**
1. Current Market Conditions: Evaluate whether your local market favors quick sales (fix & flip) or stable rental demand (buy & hold).

2. Interest Rates: Lower interest rates may favor buy & hold by reducing financing costs, whereas higher rates might impact fix & flip profitability.

3. Personal Factors: Consider your skills (renovation vs. property management), availability of capital, and risk tolerance when choosing a strategy.

In today's market, both strategies can be viable depending on your goals and circumstances. Fix & flip may be lucrative in a hot market with high buyer demand and low inventory, while buy & hold can provide stability and long-term wealth accumulation. It's essential to conduct thorough market research and financial analysis before deciding which strategy aligns best with your investment objectives.

Loading replies...