Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sousie El
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Buying a property without a realtor

Sousie El
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted

I came across a deal and the owner wants to sell by owner only. Since I'm still new to this, would the community here please suggest what I should do to make sure I'm protected and good? Should I discuss some bullet points and do a small contract between me and the buyer or is there a standard contract for such that we can agree up on terms prior to handing the deposit to the title company? Muchly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Mannix
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Replied

Hi,

I would highly suggest using an agent to protect yourself. The seller can choose to not have an agent represent them but you can still have an agent represent you. They can negotiate their fee with you and the seller to ensure they're compensated for the work they are doing.

~ Lindsey

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied

Get an real estate attorney to draw up the contract , and refer you to a title company 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason Matthews
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

Hi Sousie!

I would reccommend protecting yourself in terms of the legality of the transfer, ensuring there aren't any violations, 3rd parties requesting some claim of ownership of the property, most importantly the structural integrity of the property overall is sound and there aren't any big ticket items the current owner should righfully be taking care of that will then be additional issues you inherit. 

It's difficult navigating the home purchase process in general, but a lot of more difficult buying something with costly surprises you didn't plan for. 

Depending on how you're planning on financing the property, also ensure you are protected with some contingency just incase the property is not worth what the seller is asking for in this market. Message me if you have any additional questions. 

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez#2 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hi Sousie, 

You don't need a Realtor! 

Yes, there are a couple of things you will want to add to your purchase and sale agreement. Reach out, and I can help.