Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Question about disclosing foundation issue after it has been addressed.

Kevin S.
Posted

BP members, I have a dilemma and hoping some of you have answers.

I entered into a contract for a SFH investment property, had inspection done and suspected foundation problem. There was crack in the floor tiles that ran through the kitchen floor and into the hallway. Not hairline crack but a continuous crack probably about 7-8 feet long and wide enough to put a credit card into the crack. There were crack on ceiling above the kitchen and of course few walls too (interior and exterior). Foundation/structural engineer determined a water downspout on one side of the house caused the soil erosion. The foundation settled 7/10 inch on that side of the house. He recommended 2 'pins' to fix the problem at a cost of $6670.00. The selling agent and home inspector tells me it's common and he sees it in 50% home he inspect(central Florida).

Questions I have are,

1.  Is it common and how bad is 7/10 inch settling?  Can it be left alone because it is 'normal/common'?

2.  I believe the seller now has to disclose it to other buyers if I do not buy it?

3.  Am I required to disclose this when I sell in the future after it has been addressed/fixed?

4.  If so, will it spook future buyers even if the foundation has been taken care of?  

5.  Should I just walk away?

Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...