Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Svendsen
Votes |
Did I sign away my rights to the new realator commission refund law?

Mark Svendsen
Posted

Our trustee had me sign to accept sale of our house sale under contract but he added a sentence that I agree to 5% realators commision. I told him about the new realator commision refund law taking affect in Aug 17 in CA. Is what I signed reversable using the 3 day recind law?  I consent to selling the house but not waiving my rights to the new realator commision refunds coming.  Did the trustee break any laws helping the realator and hurting the beneficiary?

User Stats

Votes
Lina Williams
  • Realtor
  • Monterey, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Monterey, CA
Replied

I am a Realtor in the area, and you have been misinformed. Every commission agreement between a listing agent and seller is negotiable and the negotiated percentage is determined by the Seller and it is shared buy the listing brokerage and the brokerage that brings the buyer. The only thing that has changed by the new law is the pre-negotiated commission can no longer be listed in the MLS, so now agents that work with buyers will now be required to have clients sign an agreement committing to a certain commission percentage to the buyer whether or not the home that they purchase has a commission offered by the seller. The Buyer's Representation agreement has already been in use in California for many years.

If your Broker said that there will be a 5% commission, they can't give that to you unless you happen to also be an agent. That law is still the same

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied

Bro, the class action lawsuit is going to give people who file like $13.

The only thing changing post August 17th is 1 sentence being added to that listing agreement that says, probably in bold ...

"Commissions are not set by law and are negotiable." 

That's it.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied
Quote from @Mark Svendsen:

Our trustee had me sign to accept sale of our house sale under contract but he added a sentence that I agree to 5% realators commision. I told him about the new realator commision refund law taking affect in Aug 17 in CA. Is what I signed reversable using the 3 day recind law?  I consent to selling the house but not waiving my rights to the new realator commision refunds coming.  Did the trustee break any laws helping the realator and hurting the beneficiary?

Agent here. You DO NOT need an agent to buy or sell property. Never have, never will. 

RE commissions have always been and always will be negotiable. 

It's a service. 

This link should be helpful to understand what's going on and changing on August 17th: 

https://www.nar.realtor/the-facts/nar-settlement-faqs