Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brenda B.
Votes |
Hi! I have never done a JV can someone reccomend a template?

Brenda B.
Posted

I have a silent partner that wants to do flips with me, he will provide the capital and I will provide the work. I have to do a JV with him but do I do individual to individual? or LLC to LLC? Do we have to create an LLC after the JV is signed? or I can work under my LLC once he signed the JV. Also, it is there a template I can use? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Gloria Nowotarski
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Naperville IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Naperville IL
Replied

Since he is silent, you can get the LLC w/ SCorp since you are flipping to reduce taxes. You'll need a contract made up between the two of you and a loan doc for the funds. I don't know of any templates. I'd recommend you seek a real estate attorney who is familiar with real estate investing and start there. (I"m new on this platforms, so look under resources to see if there is some kind of template/loan doc.) If you plan on keeping the property, all you need is an LLC which you would be the sole member of, unless he wants to be in it too, so share all those set up expenses, ask him.. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Brenda B.

Never use a template - get an attorney to draft the proper documentation

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied

See also Does my silent partners needs to be in my LLC. Until you have experience in partnering with others on successful projects, I highly recommend working with your partner and an attorney to structure an appropriate, legal, and viable operating agreement, be it in context of an LLC or otherwise.

Good luck to you. 

BTW, I have created several MMLLCs, some with people I initially never met face to face, and at the core are general terms and, legally, the Operating Agreement. I am in NC and LLCs for partnerships in my state are necessary and sufficient. I use them for everything related to business ventures, past and future. An attorney drafted OA is mandatory.