Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Votes |
To Sell or Rent a Condo in 55+

Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Posted Jun 26 2024, 08:57

My husband and I will be taking my in-laws into our home due to health issues. They have a paid off Condo (1/1.5) in a 55+ community, not the most desirable area so worth approximately $100-115k. We will need to mortgage the condo or sell it in order to outfit our home (and my brother-in-laws home) for my in-laws to live privately and comfortably. What would you do? Facts to consider: The condo is in my husbands name, has been for about 5 years so the capital gains taxes would be ours to pay upon sale. Property Taxes $1200 annually which we've been paying. HOA $325 monthly. Conservatively, rent would be about $1000-1200 monthly based on our research. We do have 4 other properties we rent with significant equity so using equity from one of those is on the table as well. This would allow us to just rent the condo without placing any financing on it, or to 1031 the funds from the sale of the condo and still have the needed funds to complete the work on our homes to accommodate them. Lastly, our DTI is maxed out per every lender we've spoken to recently as all the properties are mortgaged in our personal name. So we'd be looking at DSCR or other funding that doesn't consider our personal DTI. Ideas? What are we not thinking about? Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...