Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Yu Jin Song
Votes |
Looking to invest in Dayton Ohio, does any of you have good insight about this city?

Yu Jin Song
Posted Jun 20 2024, 06:56

Hi, I am looking to invest in Ohio, mainly in Columbus, and Cleveland, but recently Dayton, OH got my attention in terms of affordability.  I see many big homes available for sale with small price tags.  Specially the ones that needs updates or renovation.  I have never been to Dayton OH, and was wondering if it is good idea to invest in Dayton, OH?  If yes, which side or neighborhood would you recommend?   Thanks in advance for your reply.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 20 2024, 10:40
Quote from @Yu Jin Song:

Hi, I am looking to invest in Ohio, mainly in Columbus, and Cleveland, but recently Dayton, OH got my attention in terms of affordability.  I see many big homes available for sale with small price tags.  Specially the ones that needs updates or renovation.  I have never been to Dayton OH, and was wondering if it is good idea to invest in Dayton, OH?  If yes, which side or neighborhood would you recommend?   Thanks in advance for your reply.

I like Dayton, Ohio. I have family that live there.

A lot of Columbus developers are starting to do projects in Dayton because of its affordability 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 20 2024, 20:30
Quote from @Yu Jin Song:

ever bought a 100 year old home? know about knob and tube wiring? know about cast iron plumbing? familiar with plaster and lathe? you know about sewer systems made of clay? leave the old **** houses alone cheap doesn't mean good. if it was so good reits and institutions would be doing it. The average age of the number 1 single family home owner is greater than 2010 and less than 15 years old and they are now building homes new construction and owning them. the exact opposite of your strategy. older homes are the cheaper ones and unless you have experience I'd build in columbus close to downtown. same reason Toledo and Cleveland don't move the needle and there aren't 100 institutions in those markets. columbus is barely on the radar. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jun 21 2024, 05:19

Hi Yu Jin! Welcome to BiggerPockets! I personally invest in Dayton, Cleveland and Columbus. COC in Dayton ranges from 10 to 18% and appreciation range is 3-7%. Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance!

User Stats

Votes
    Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied Jun 21 2024, 07:06

Hey Yu Jin,

I can send you a graded map of Ohio our team created.

User Stats

Votes
    Christian Maher
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied Jun 22 2024, 21:09
    Quote from @Samuel Diouf:

Hey Yu Jin,

Hey Sam, can you please send me that too?

User Stats

Votes
    Engelo Rumora
    Property Manager
    • Investor
    • Toledo, OH
    Votes |
    Property Manager
    • Investor
    • Toledo, OH
    Replied Jun 30 2024, 19:51
    Quote from @Yu Jin Song:

Hi Yu Jin,

Dayton is a step up from Toledo but also comes with a step up in price.

The numbers make sense in many Ohio cities.

You make money when you buy and not when you sell.

So look for off market (We do a lot of direct to seller), negotiate hard, buy with cash and buy quickly.

Great deals don't last so you need to know the numbers very well in your target market.

I've flipped hundreds of properties in Toledo since 2014 and am glad to say that I know the market like my back pocket.

All I need is the address, scope of work and how much I can buy it for.

Quick access to AREIS, the MLS to run comps and "ka ching".

I know if it's a deal or not.

Immerse yourself in the market and become a market expert on the numbers.

Nothing comes easy mate and all good things take time.

If you are looking to build a rental portfolio in Ohio you have to build a big one.

Buying 1 or 2 properties and expecting a significant impact to your bottom line from a net-worth or cashflow standpoint isn't worth the risk IMO.

In all sub $100,000 markets, it's important to build a large portfolio as there is a high likelihood that you will have repairs and vacancy on 1 or 2 properties at any given moment.

Just my opinion and all the best.
    Oz Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Yu Jin Song
    Votes |
    Replied Jul 1 2024, 06:27
    Quote from @Samuel Diouf:

Hey Yu Jin,

Yes please send me the map.  Appreciated !!!

User Stats

Votes
    Lee Ripma
    Pro Member
    • Rental Property Investor
    • Prairie Village, KS
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Rental Property Investor
    • Prairie Village, KS
    Replied Jul 6 2024, 11:21

@Yu Jin Song

I do not specifically know the market but I use Vestmap's zipfinder to look for areas I would invest in nationwide. See the map below for what zip codes I would initially be interested in. Then I run reports on exact locations, these can be for any location, on or off market. I would for sure checkout the zip codes 45439 and 45409 based on my preliminary look if you want to be in the heart of the city but don't discount the suburbs especially if you are looking to invest in SFH.

As others have mentioned a house/apartment built in 1900, 1950, and after 1980 are very different in terms of capital expenses required. If I go into any market I'm ideally buying 1980 or newer. If I'm buying old then that it becomes very important to understand capital expenses for upgrading plumbing, electrical, fixing foundations, etc and understanding the properties current condition. 

I love out of state investing, just be careful with the location and the asset you buy! 

User Stats

Votes
    Carlos Scarpero
    Lender
    • Lender
    • Dayton, OH
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    • Dayton, OH
    Replied Jul 7 2024, 14:01

You better understand your neighborhoods first before investing. We have some areas that are super cheap because they are very sketchy. Find a good Realtor first before proceeding.

• Lender Virginia (#1674385), Arizona (#1674385), Tennessee (#1674385), Alabama (#1674385), Florida (#1674385), Texas (#1674385), Indiana (#1674385), Kentucky (#1674385), and Ohio (#1674385)

Home Loans by Carlos Scarpero, Powered by Edge Home Finance, NMLS #1674385 Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Christopher Sineno
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Ohio
    Replied Aug 1 2024, 10:42

Understanding what you are buying and in what neighborhood is important anywhere you buy, Dayton is no different. 

We have a lot for sale, we buy a lot, manage a lot of rentals and rehabs. 

Feel free to connect! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have directly - including best practices and connections within the market.