Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Minaya
  • Accountant
  • North Park San Diego, CA
Votes |
Am I being too greedy with my asking price or impatient?

David Minaya
  • Accountant
  • North Park San Diego, CA
Posted Jun 17 2024, 09:12

Good day BP and Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

I'm currently in the process of selling my first property. It is a 1500 sqft 3 bed 3 bath condo about a 5-minute walk to the beach. I live in Southern California and my property is currently listed at $1.05m. It has been on the market for about 45 days and has received modest interest from buyers.  The property is part of a large condominium and is located on the backside of the building (i.e., it does not have an ocean view). My agent informed me that comps in the area are selling between $840K-985K, however those properties are not as near to the beach as mine. I should also mention that properties with an ocean view in my condominium have sold between $1.2m-1.3m but also have less square footage and less bedrooms and bathrooms. It was with that consideration that I listed the property at $1.05.  

Considering the circumstances, I would really appreciate your opinions on whether I am being greedy with the listing price or whether I should be patient, keep the selling price as it is, and wait for a serious buyer. 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Jun 17 2024, 10:12

@David Minaya

Every market is different, and every property is different. 

Condos have had generally more trouble selling because of people's general perceptions of HOA fees.

It only takes one buyer, but it also depends on how quickly you need/want to sell. 

If you really want to sell, lower it. If not, wait. 

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jun 17 2024, 10:40

@David Minaya

Properties over 1M tend to take longer to sell because the buyer pool is smaller even in a market like SD.  Is the property being marketed well by your agent? Are they hosting open houses, networking with neighbors that might know someone, promoting the listing for the reasons you listed?  In my area of Lake Tahoe it's common for properties to be on the market for 60+ days.  If you're in a hurry you can lower the price or take a lower offer. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Jun 17 2024, 10:47

This is a place that sellers often end up in: Considering lowering the price and how much to lower it. Time on the market is almost as important to prospective buyers as the price. "What secret defect is there that everyone but me knows about?"

You also have to consider your holding costs - you are paying HOA fees, insurance, and property taxes. You also are over the 1 million mental price point. A 1 million home is way more expensive than one for $999,999 in peoples' minds. You might want to reconsider your agent's expert opinion on price. Get it sold and move on.

User Stats

Votes
Sherry McQuage
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Replied Jun 17 2024, 11:09
Quote from @David Minaya:

I'm currently in the process of selling my first property. It is a 1500 sqft 3 bed 3 bath condo about a 5-minute walk to the beach. I live in Southern California and my property is currently listed at $1.05m. It has been on the market for about 45 days and has received modest interest from buyers.  The property is part of a large condominium and is located on the backside of the building (i.e., it does not have an ocean view). My agent informed me that comps in the area are selling between $840K-985K, however those properties are not as near to the beach as mine. I should also mention that properties with an ocean view in my condominium have sold between $1.2m-1.3m but also have less square footage and less bedrooms and bathrooms. It was with that consideration that I listed the property at $1.05.  

Considering the circumstances, I would really appreciate your opinions on whether I am being greedy with the listing price or whether I should be patient, keep the selling price as it is, and wait for a serious buyer. 

Hello,

A good rule of thumb in NC I tell my sellers about: if we get lots of showings in the first 2-4 weeks, but no offers, the price is too high by a good bit (15-25% estimated).

If we get showings, and one low ball offer, the price is a little too high (5-10% too high).

The longer a property sits on the market, the more likely you'll end up accepting a lower price ...better to go ahead and do a price reduction now and sell it faster, than letting it sit and eventually the market will do the price cut for you.  Also, don't do incremental price reductions because you're chasing the market down.  Do a noticeable price reduction.

A property is worth what a ready, willing, and able buyer will pay for it. If none step forward at the current price, then you're the buyer. Especially if the condo can be a STR, an ocean view makes it more valuable...not to be a "butt head", but people can buy/rent and look at a parking lot anywhere for much less.

If you think you've got a good agent, take their advice.  There's always a slim chance a buyer will appear and pay what you're asking, but it's unlikely.  Many investors actually look for properties that have been on the market longer than the average for that area....and then they put in a low ball offer.

As I mentioned, I'm in NC...the slim chance that a buyer will come offer full price for an over-priced property is what we call "a buyer from California".  No offense intended.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Eakes
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 17 2024, 11:42

Have you received any offers at all? Sometimes dropping the price boosts listing attention and you end up getting offers that you can work with in a counter. But that should really be considered on a case by case basis. It's tough to answer this question without knowing how your property is being marketed, perceived by buyers, stacking up against similar listings around you, etc. 

My recommendation is look at the comps yourself and be as realistic as possible. A lot can change in 45 days. If your condo doesn't have an ocean view then don't compare your property to ones with a view. Depending on where you're located, an ocean view can significantly boost value.
The best comps will be model matches of your unit within the complex. If that doesn't provide enough info, look for listings within a close radius, similar finishes, comparable HOA and amenities, and parking availability.

Hopefully that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jun 17 2024, 14:18

If you have a good agent, trust your agent, they should be a great guide and tool for you. If you have consistent showings and decent interest, do not lower your price. If you have gone days and weeks without a showing, maybe its time to reduce the price. Someone local, who knows the area and how properties move is the best bet for the most accurate answer for you. 

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#2 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 17 2024, 17:59

Are you afraid if you trust your agent and lower the price $20k to $985k. (Getting under the $1M mark as mentioned above.) A bidding war will break out and you’ll get $1.05. Or that you still won’t get an offer? Which one’s worse?

Personally I think $1.05 is not a smart listing price. You eliminated your listing from every buyer’s email that told their realtor they wanted to spend $1M or less. 

It’s literally a 2% price drop. You don’t think your eventual buyer after this much time on the market will ask for at least that much closing help?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jun 17 2024, 18:06

With very little information provided....sounds like $999k is a better price to be at.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 17 2024, 19:20
Quote from @Bill B.:

Personally I think $1.05 is not a smart listing price. You eliminated your listing from every buyer’s email that told their realtor they wanted to spend $1M or less. 

This ^^^^^^^

User Stats

Votes
Wesley I.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 17 2024, 22:36

@David Minaya

Whats the activity during open houses? Any offers?

What coastal area? IB or PB?

I’ve seen a lot of price reductions but also seeing quick movement on properties that are priced right, maybe consider the advice to price it under a $1M.

Wish you the best!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 18 2024, 21:11

@David Minaya when did the condos that have sold between $1.2m-$1.3m sell?  Was this recent or over 6 months ago?  How long ago did the comps your agent provided you close? 

The difficult part right now is money is expensive to borrow, a lot of buyers are on the sidelines waiting for borrowing to get cheaper.  I would recommend giving the buyer a 2-1 buydown credit to help offset the high rates.  Your agent can market this in the public remarks so buyers see this.  

Yes property values are still appreciating but buyers look at the bottom line of how much is this property going to cost me on monthly basis and with rates in the high 6s the monthly payment is not attractive to a lot of buyers. Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 19 2024, 07:46

Have any condominiums in your building with an ocean view sold between $1.2-1.3M in the last 6 months.  If not, then your price may be too high and your agent may be right.  What has your agent told you about the average days on market for recently sold listings?  If the average is much less than 45 days then you are overpriced.  If the average is around 45 days then don't panic yet.

The Smith Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jun 20 2024, 16:22

First, what does it take in that specific community (timeframe-wise) to sell. If it is 45-60 days are doing well, if this is shorter than you are in a position where you are either priced too high or the condition is not good enough (or both).

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jun 20 2024, 16:25
Quote from @Bill B.:

Are you afraid if you trust your agent and lower the price $20k to $985k. (Getting under the $1M mark as mentioned above.) A bidding war will break out and you’ll get $1.05. Or that you still won’t get an offer? Which one’s worse?

It’s literally a 2% price drop. You don’t think your eventual buyer after this much time on the market will ask for at least that much closing help?

Always push for the bidding war, it will push the price higher than what anyone expects due to the competition overwhelm that buyers get and push the property to new heights. I listed a property in the IE a couple of months ago that the seller wanted top, top dollar for on the property. We listed at $960K knowing the market was about $1,100,000.. We sold for $1,218,000 cash (15 offers, 5 days on the market, and got a cash buyer that was going to live there and make it their own home for their family). Always push for the multiple offers 

The McKernan Group Logo