Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Greg Flannery
Votes |
Fixer Upper Condo Divorce Buyout

Greg Flannery
Posted

Trying to offer ex an amount for condo were both on title and mortgage for. How do I get an accurate value based on HOA financial health and interior defects? Something in writing I can use in court to argue what the buyout value should be. Of course ex wants the Zestimate

Appraiser came by a year ago and didnt ask for any HOA financials (said none provided in report) and said any visible issues would only resort in a "cure cost" factored in the value. I dont understand why it wouldnt be appraised as is?

HOA has a Reserve Study outlining $400,000 in outstanding work that needs to be done between the two buildings and property. It reflects components of both buildings and community areas beyond their useful life. Roofs, Balconies, Fencing, Planters etc. With 8 units that is potentially $50,000 per unit. There is only $3,000 in the total HOA accounts.

Condo has alot of issues documented in a Home Inspectors Report. Deck is falling down (covered by HOA) but has resulted in an ongoing ceiling foyer leak. Same wall has an exterior defect that allows water to intrude through stucco from below due to no weep screet and soaks the base wood frame. Was previously rotted but replaced awaiting HOA fixing exterior. Inspection also reflects a Furnace leak needing replacement, six rotting french doors, 1/2 bath shoved in with grinded down and re mudded up drywall and some other minor issues.

Is there a special kind of report to include these factors in a value for an as is sale? 

She has refused to counter any amounts offered and were on path for a settlement conference and then hearing trial on the property.

I’d like a document in hand stipulating an as is value I can just offer to buy her out on. Or if she refuses it will possibly hold up in front of a judge to have them set a buyout price.

Loading replies...