Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Renzo Roffmann
Votes |
New investor needs advice - Cleveland OH

Renzo Roffmann
Posted May 30 2024, 17:05

Hello everyone! I just found out about BP through a search online a while back but I haven't been activate for a couple of years here. A little bit about my experience in Real Estate… I started a couple years ago doing some house flips in Detroit ( It was a 2 year plan) then decided to sell everything, moved to Washington DC which can't afford anything in the DMV area but last year I purchased a very nice 3500 SQFT Duplex in Shaker Heights, suburb of Cleveland. I paid $307k cash and spent another 30k + to fix it. I thought I was going to live on it for a while but that's not longer the case. I made the upstairs unit in a nice Airbnb unit which Iam currently getting around $2400 monthly average. (The city doesn't allow STR less than 30 days which is a good and bad thing.) The downstairs unit was rented for $1700 and my tenant moved out recently. My issue isnt managing from DC since I'm a flight attendant and have a flexible schedule. My property taxes are high - around 9k a year.

I’ve been out of touch with the market this year dealing with an illness and I’m trying to make the best decision cause this is my lifetime investment and extra income. I’m debating if I should sell it and invest somewhere else where property taxes aren’t so high and maybe deal with one tenant in a single home. My Airbnb inquiries has been very slow, but again I’m just starting. Last year I barely made any money after all expenses were paid. There are great people here which could guide me in the right direction and I appreciate any advice. My ultimate goal is of course make a bigger profit.

Loading replies...