Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dar Baruchim
Votes |
Requesting Advice: Purchasing an apartment in building that failed inspection

Dar Baruchim
Posted May 27 2024, 18:56

Hi All,

This would be my first investment property. The unit, in North Miami, would be paid for all in cash since the building didn't pass the fire inspection (ie. proper exit signs, etc) and wont be approved for a mortgage (it has passed the structural inspection however). The property manager has told me they're working to fix all the issues. Additionally, i live in Chicago, so i won't see it before closing which is in 30 days. My questions are:

Can i find a copy of the fire inspection report using the address? 

How big of a concern is this, 1 = "nothing to worry about" and 10 = "run"? and why?

How would you mitigate the risk?

What other parameters do you use to assess the worthiness of a deal?

Thanks in Advance!!

DB

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied May 27 2024, 19:48

As your first investment property RUN. I've heard too many horror stories about people that pay cash for a property because they think they are getting a deal.

A moron of an owner could see they could get a much higher price if they just put in the exit signs (etc) and then sold to someone with a bank loan.  Odds are there is much more hidden here than is being shared.

A seasoned investor could probably mitigate these risks, but they would run EVERYTHING to ground.  They would have to oversee third party reports just like a bank would.  They would hire a company to do Phase 1, PCAs, ALTA assessments and the like.  If you don't know what I'm talking about there is a much higher probability of getting burned.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied May 28 2024, 05:29

@Dar Baruchim you should see your first few investment properties and find experts to assist you.

Buying sight unseen OOS is not recommended for newbies.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 28 2024, 06:46

@Dar Baruchim - Is a fire and structural inspection something specific to Miami, we don't have those here in Chicago.  What exactly is included in these inspections?

Paying all cash usually means high risk, high rewards if handled properly.  Surely you have some boots on the ground fighting the onsite battles for you right?

Any reason you decided to invest in Miami?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied May 28 2024, 09:14

While the issues you mentioned sound completely fixable, it's a big red flag that it failed the fire inspection. This is something on the manager that you can address yourself, so if they're incompetent or negligent, you're basically stuck. 

I would think the manager could give you a copy of fire inspection report. Maybe the fire department would give you that. But I would be much closer to run unless you can get exact specifics on when the issues will be addressed and see proof it's being done. But for a new investor, this wouldn't be the one I'd want to start on.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 28 2024, 10:19
Quote from @Dar Baruchim:

Hi All,

This would be my first investment property. The unit, in North Miami, would be paid for all in cash since the building didn't pass the fire inspection (ie. proper exit signs, etc) and wont be approved for a mortgage (it has passed the structural inspection however). The property manager has told me they're working to fix all the issues. Additionally, i live in Chicago, so i won't see it before closing which is in 30 days. My questions are:

Can i find a copy of the fire inspection report using the address? 

How big of a concern is this, 1 = "nothing to worry about" and 10 = "run"? and why?

How would you mitigate the risk?

What other parameters do you use to assess the worthiness of a deal?

Thanks in Advance!!

DB

can you send me the numbers? I haven't seen one apartment deal work. most are covered land plays for redevelopment. you can buy performing assets that sit on plots of land that can be upzoned. I have sites you can purchase where we can 2x your money in less than a year all cash through zoning and entitlements. I'll shoot you a PM. I'm curious to see where the deal is at in miami. we stay close to the urban core and always in the city of miami which is developer friendly 

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied May 29 2024, 07:03

Hi Dar, ask for minutes for the past 12 months from the management/board and request the last fire inspection report. They have to provide these docs to you as a future homeowner. Put some pressure on the sale side since they're the ones who can legally request these docs as current owners. Make sure you extend your due diligence period until you receive and review the docs. Also, make sure there are no upcoming assessments and the building has enough financials to cover the issue using the savings. These are some things your agent and/or attorney/title can help with. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dar Baruchim
Votes |
Replied May 29 2024, 19:45

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. I cancelled the deal. All the best