Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Degani
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Risks associated with triplex vs. duplex?

Rachel Degani
  • St Petersburg, FL
Posted

Hi all! I have an opportunity to jump into a turn key triplex in a nice part of town in a high appreciation market (St Pete FL!). This property should cashflow anywhere from $200-800 (net) depending on what I can rent it for/how accurate the comps I've found are. The catch is, it would cost us ALL of our savings... (but we would still have about 10k in our biz account). Is this too risky? We are very good at saving so can prob build it back up fast. My aunt (who is not a successful real estate investor, but has some experience with flipping) says I shouldn't jump into a triplex because I'm too new. She says I should start with a duplex and work my way up. There is also a nice duplex which wouldn't be ALL of my savings that I have my eye on but it would not cashflow as much. I kind of feel like it's more risky for that reason. I am a brand new investor with one other property which I have been STRing for 2 years. I feel ready to jump in to my next deal and love the thought of a triplex, but I know there are risks involved; especially since I don't know what I don't know. Would love to hear from some more seasoned investors. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Loading replies...