Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Romane Daley
Votes |
Need!! help making a decision

Romane Daley
Posted Apr 21 2024, 00:33

My sister is selling her house to me; however, we want to do a mortgage transfer since she currently has a 2.5% interest rate, but the bank will only pay what is owed on the current mortgage. The equity she wants is $55,000, which I don't have in cash fully, but I own a home now with that in equity, and I have money in an IRA.

My challenge is that I don't want to sell my current home; I want to rent it.

I can't decide if I should borrow from an IRA, Heloc, or refinance my current house, which is also 2.5%. I also have credit cards that I can turn into cash, but the interest rate is an issue.

I just don't know what the right move is to get that cash and keep that rate.

Am I missing any other strategies or ways I can gain that capital at a cheaper rate? 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 21 2024, 06:20
Quote from @Romane Daley:

First, I'm not a fan of borrowing money to borrow money. Using a HELOC, refinance, or credit card would be unwise. For example, if you refinanced your home at 7% interest and took 30 years to pay it off, it would cost you a total of $121,000 to pay it off, and you would be paying a much higher interest on your entire home loan.

You could ask your sister to finance it (her price, your terms). Pay a chunk down, make monthly payments at an interest rate that works for both of you, and pay it off as quickly as possible. I'm not a big fan of mixing family and business because it can destroy relationships.

My favorite recommendation is the one nobody wants to hear: work like a dog, save up, and buy things you can afford to pay for. If you can't afford to buy her house right now, take that as a sign that you aren't ready to purchase your next investment. Save up and wait for the next opportunity.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Romane Daley
Votes |
Replied Apr 21 2024, 17:46

Thank you for the advice, but I have to move there because that's my following duty location. But I guess my best option is to just purchase it at the current interest rate since I still need somewhere to live. I was just looking for best advice to keep the rate.

But that's excellent advice if I didn't have to move there.

Thanks

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Apr 21 2024, 17:47

@Romane Daley

You can't borrow from an IRA; the only way to access IRA funds for personal needs is to take a distribution, which would be taxable, and penalties on top for premature distributions.

If you have enough funds in an IRA the alternative would be to establish a self-directed IRA, and have the IRA buy the property subject to existing financing (if your sister is willing to do that), you personally can't assume the mortgage b/c you are not allowed to provide a personal guarantee for IRA-owned property and have the IRA pay your sister for the equity. You can't use the property personally either; this would be the investment of an IRA, and you are not allowed to receive personal benefits from an IRA. 

User Stats

Votes
Romane Daley
Votes |
Replied Apr 21 2024, 19:23

@Dmitriy Fomichenko

Thanks for that advice, and self-directed IRA is new to me. Do I need to have the total amount in IRA to cover the house plus her asking equity to do the self-directed or is there a loan option offered by IRA that I can tap into?

Hopefully, my question made sense.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:32

@Romane Daley,

Yes, you can use leverage with an IRA; however, the loan must be non-recourse. Here is a list of lenders specializing in this:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/50272-list-o...

User Stats

Votes
Jaime Duron
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 30 2024, 07:39

Hi Romane Daley! Not sure what your sister's situation is and if she needs the money now, but have you looked into Subject to? Basically, you come to terms with your sister on purhcase price, DP, loan terms, etc. The loan will be kept in her name while the deed is transferred to you. There are so many variables to putting this deal together as it could be a win, win situation. There are title companys in your area that handle situations like this. Just thought I would bring another option to the table.