Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Brisson
Pro Member
Votes |
Current Cash out refi costs and rates … HELP

James Brisson
Pro Member
Posted Mar 26 2024, 05:57

Hey all, so I'm currently in the process of doing a cash out refi on one of the triplex's I own in Fitchburg, Ma. I have a rate of 3.75% Current PITI is 2180 and other expenses monthly are roughly $200. Gross rents are 4550 so cash flow is roughly $2100. ( yes I know I need to factor in cap ex. Maintenance and vacancy to get a more accurate number). I would be able to pull about roughly 100-140k (appraisal depending) with a new piti of $3960. The rate would be in the mid to high 8's. My goal is to scale the portfolio and hopefully be able to replace the lost cash flow by adding additional units with the cash out proceeds. The closing costs would be 19k with 5k in prepaids, with 14k in closing costs including broker fees. Is this competitive or does this seem expensive to you? Also the cashout refi is a no income low doc loan that looks to the DSCR ratio of the building for qualification along with my credit score. Details for closing costs are outlined above. I'd appreciate ANY feedback positive or negative !!!! Thanks guys and gals !!!!!

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Mar 26 2024, 08:09

Hey James - Happy to connect and take a deeper dive into this. Would need a bit more info. I am also from Newburyport if you know the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 26 2024, 09:31

I definitely think that you should get some opinions, but ultimately, if you have a use case for the cash that gives you a good ROI, then go for it!

The One Brokerage Logo
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Mar 26 2024, 09:54
Quote from @James Brisson:

Hey all, so I'm currently in the process of doing a cash out refi on one of the triplex's I own in Fitchburg, Ma. I have a rate of 3.75% Current PITI is 2180 and other expenses monthly are roughly $200. Gross rents are 4550 so cash flow is roughly $2100. ( yes I know I need to factor in cap ex. Maintenance and vacancy to get a more accurate number). I would be able to pull about roughly 100-140k (appraisal depending) with a new piti of $3960. The rate would be in the mid to high 8's. My goal is to scale the portfolio and hopefully be able to replace the lost cash flow by adding additional units with the cash out proceeds. The closing costs would be 19k with 5k in prepaids, with 14k in closing costs including broker fees. Is this competitive or does this seem expensive to you? Also the cashout refi is a no income low doc loan that looks to the DSCR ratio of the building for qualification along with my credit score. Details for closing costs are outlined above. I'd appreciate ANY feedback positive or negative !!!! Thanks guys and gals !!!!!

Hey James, 

You may be able to structure this on a DSCR second position loan, without having to touch your first.

You may also get the rate in the low 7s doing a refi on the first if you have an excellent FICO. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 26 2024, 10:58

@James Brisson 8.99 seems very high without knowing the specifics on the property other than what you sent. Market is mid 7s to mid 8s from what I have been seeing. I would run the numbers on a second position to keep your first rate and the blended rate may be lower than 8.99. This is a way to 1. pay lower origination since you are taking a loan for 100-140k and 2. keep your first note rate in place. 

Would take some noodling, but would be worth it considering the jump in rate. 

User Stats

Votes
Elias Halvorson
Lender
  • Hawaii
Votes |
Lender
  • Hawaii
Replied May 9 2024, 08:00

VERY high fees for only pulling out 100-140k. Have you considered a personal loan from a local credit union or from SOFI? I know SOFI does personal loans up to 100k with a document fee of maybe 300 total And interest rates at 8.75-12%. Without knowing your complete financial situation. That would appear to be a better deal vice doing a cashout refi on your 400k and going from 3.75 to 8.99% on the entire amount.