I was approached by my neighbor if I wanted to purchase their house since they plan to move in the next three months for new job opportunities. It will be an off market deal. To save on fees for both parties, we are planning to handle the transaction ourselves. I plan to form a partnership with three other friends for this deal.
1. When should I form this partnship and open a business bank account to pool capital?
2. What documents should we be prepared to fill out?
3. Should we work with a lawyer?
4. I assume we should get the property appraised? How else can we get the property valued correctly?
5. Should we remove the real estate agents from this transaction?
The most important question is should we do this at all?
Dominic,
You have a lot of questions which is great but the questions demonstrate this is your first REI and having partners can complicate things if not handled correctly. This is where having a seasoned real estate agent comes in handy. Realtors are well versed in contract law and verbiage to help avoid issues during and after closing.
Agents also work closely with the Bank/Lender to help the buyers and sellers close on time and without issues. The Bank handles the appraisal you cannot order one by law if financing is involved due to AMC rules under the Dodd Frank act. The Bank also communicates with the title company to order chain of title and require lender/title insurance. That will provide you with confidence knowing there are no taxes owned or unpaid liens.
I have worked with Lucia Rushton in DFW multiple times who can great agent and it is well worth using her to avoid painful mistakes! You can find her on Bigger Pockets as well reach out to @Lucia Rushton
Dominic,
You have a lot of questions which is great but the questions demonstrate this is your first REI and having partners can complicate things if not handled correctly. This is where having a seasoned real estate agent comes in handy. Realtors are well versed in contract law and verbiage to help avoid issues during and after closing.
Agents also work closely with the Bank/Lender to help the buyers and sellers close on time and without issues. The Bank handles the appraisal you cannot order one by law if financing is involved due to AMC rules under the Dodd Frank act. The Bank also communicates with the title company to order chain of title and require lender/title insurance. That will provide you with confidence knowing there are no taxes owned or unpaid liens.
I have worked with Lucia Rushton in DFW multiple times who can great agent and it is well worth using her to avoid painful mistakes! You can find her on Bigger Pockets as well reach out to @Lucia Rushton
I was approached by my neighbor if I wanted to purchase their house since they plan to move in the next three months for new job opportunities. It will be an off market deal. To save on fees for both parties, we are planning to handle the transaction ourselves. I plan to form a partnership with three other friends for this deal.
1. When should I form this partnship and open a business bank account to pool capital?
2. What documents should we be prepared to fill out?
3. Should we work with a lawyer?
4. I assume we should get the property appraised? How else can we get the property valued correctly?
5. Should we remove the real estate agents from this transaction?
The most important question is should we do this at all?
You can do this without a realtor. Contact a lawyer and have them draw up the agreements.
I was approached by my neighbor if I wanted to purchase their house since they plan to move in the next three months for new job opportunities. It will be an off market deal. To save on fees for both parties, we are planning to handle the transaction ourselves. I plan to form a partnership with three other friends for this deal.
1. When should I form this partnship and open a business bank account to pool capital?
2. What documents should we be prepared to fill out?
3. Should we work with a lawyer?
4. I assume we should get the property appraised? How else can we get the property valued correctly?
5. Should we remove the real estate agents from this transaction?
The most important question is should we do this at all?
The 4 of us each will own 25% of interest in this partnership. We definitely will seek to have a mortgage. I was thinking to get the price locked down through appraisal and negotiation, then we will pay the equity in cash to the seller and assume their mortgage. Have you seen that done?
Dominic,
You have a lot of questions which is great but the questions demonstrate this is your first REI and having partners can complicate things if not handled correctly. This is where having a seasoned real estate agent comes in handy. Realtors are well versed in contract law and verbiage to help avoid issues during and after closing.
Agents also work closely with the Bank/Lender to help the buyers and sellers close on time and without issues. The Bank handles the appraisal you cannot order one by law if financing is involved due to AMC rules under the Dodd Frank act. The Bank also communicates with the title company to order chain of title and require lender/title insurance. That will provide you with confidence knowing there are no taxes owned or unpaid liens.
I have worked with Lucia Rushton in DFW multiple times who can great agent and it is well worth using her to avoid painful mistakes! You can find her on Bigger Pockets as well reach out to @Lucia Rushton
Thanks, Jason, for the referral. This will be my first REI. I decided to pull the trigger after a few years of listening to this podcast and reading up on posts in this forum.
I was approached by my neighbor if I wanted to purchase their house since they plan to move in the next three months for new job opportunities. It will be an off market deal. To save on fees for both parties, we are planning to handle the transaction ourselves. I plan to form a partnership with three other friends for this deal.
1. When should I form this partnship and open a business bank account to pool capital?
2. What documents should we be prepared to fill out?
3. Should we work with a lawyer?
4. I assume we should get the property appraised? How else can we get the property valued correctly?
5. Should we remove the real estate agents from this transaction?
The most important question is should we do this at all?
Use a RE attorney for the closing - they will ensure that all of the right forms are handled properly.
I have always used an attorney, even when we have had a realtor and it has saved me money on multiple occasions.
Use a RE attorney for the closing - they will ensure that all of the right forms are handled properly.
I have always used an attorney, even when we have had a realtor and it has saved me money on multiple occasions.
Do you have any recommendations for a RE attorney in DFW area? What has been the cost estimate in your experience?
Use a RE attorney for the closing - they will ensure that all of the right forms are handled properly.
I have always used an attorney, even when we have had a realtor and it has saved me money on multiple occasions.
Do you have any recommendations for a RE attorney in DFW area? What has been the cost estimate in your experience?
@Dominic Nguyen
Yesef Cordero in Grand Prairie. We did one transaction with them.
I was approached by my neighbor if I wanted to purchase their house since they plan to move in the next three months for new job opportunities. It will be an off market deal. To save on fees for both parties, we are planning to handle the transaction ourselves. I plan to form a partnership with three other friends for this deal.
1. When should I form this partnship and open a business bank account to pool capital?
2. What documents should we be prepared to fill out?
3. Should we work with a lawyer?
4. I assume we should get the property appraised? How else can we get the property valued correctly?
5. Should we remove the real estate agents from this transaction?
The most important question is should we do this at all?
@Dominic Nguyen It can be done but just from what it sounds like you have a lot of good questions! And this won't be the last of the questions. Something to think of is a title policy and a title search. What if you go through the contract and find out that there is a lein on the property... if that happens then you might wish you have worked with an agent! There's nothing out of your pocket to use a RE agent.