Buying a property with tennants paying below average paying rents

Buying a property with tennants paying below average paying rents

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 6 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I found a property that seems like it would cash flow positively ($1600) based on market rents. However, the existing tenants are paying about half of what current rates appear to be, according to my research on Rentometer, Apartments.com, and HotPads. The property is a 6-unit building in Los Angeles.

Given the significant difference in current rents vs. market rates, I'm looking for advice on how to legally and ethically approach raising the rents to reflect market value, should I decide to move forward with the purchase.

Some additional context: even if I were to negotiate a better (reasonable) price and were to successfully evict a tenant who is 5 months behind on their rent and charge the market rent for that unit I'd still be -$600/month. 

What are the best practices in this situation, especially considering any local laws and regulations that might apply? I understand the importance of being a responsible and ethical landlord, so I'm seeking guidance on how to navigate this transition smoothly and fairly.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

2Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
2y

It sounds like you need to consult with Eviction attorney, CPA/ Tax professional, Great Realtor and Lender for this. DO NOT close escrow before talking to these people. 

I have a great attorney in LA if you would like. DM me.  Unfortunately 98.7% of landlords that are selling these type of properties, do so bc of low rents and bad tenants… so you will have to solve that problem. But many investors get rich and build wealth buying "value add" properties like this one. Just make sure you don't over pay… That's a math calculation. 

Get a good realtor that can walk you through this! GOOD luck 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    You buy the property then you raise the rents. You evict the tenant that isn't paying.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Definitely plan to evict the tenant which would help get a new tenant that pays fair market rent. As for the others, Is it true you can only raise rents 10% a year in California? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    If it is subject to Los Angeles Rent Control, you are SOL. There are limitations based on the Consumer Price Index. I believe it is around 4% this year but double check.

    Check with LA Housing to confirm on what you can and cannot do. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    2y

    It sounds like you need to consult with Eviction attorney, CPA/ Tax professional, Great Realtor and Lender for this. DO NOT close escrow before talking to these people. 

    I have a great attorney in LA if you would like. DM me.  Unfortunately 98.7% of landlords that are selling these type of properties, do so bc of low rents and bad tenants… so you will have to solve that problem. But many investors get rich and build wealth buying "value add" properties like this one. Just make sure you don't over pay… That's a math calculation. 

    Get a good realtor that can walk you through this! GOOD luck 

  • West Covina, Los Angeles County · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    Hi Skylar,

    I actually purchased 2 properties with tenants, one was evicted and it was a 8 month process, and the other tenant actually worked with us and stayed with the higher rent amount. 

    I suggest you speak to an eviction attorney and get a Estopple agreement from current tenants. 


    Good Luck, 

    Ellie

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    This is great advice! I’ve never even heard of an estoppel agreement so will look that up. As for the attorney I’ll have to do some research as well. Thank you!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.