Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Malik Elate
Votes |
Roast my property analysis

Malik Elate
Posted Feb 9 2024, 15:36

Title pretty much says it all. This is how I'm running the numbers while looking for a house hack. What could I be doing better? 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda McKee
  • Realtor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Minnesota
Replied Feb 13 2024, 10:03

Overall it looks like you captured the key data, I would include a row with % for each expense to calculate off of so you can see what your assumptions are easily or change them. I.e. Cap x is 5% and calc off that and prop mgmt is 10%, etc. Not every project will use the exact same ratios, if you're doing a flip and everything is brand new than you probably don't need much for cap x, but if it's an old house needing repairs than that will likely need to be higher. Or if you're considering LTR and STR than prop. mgmt fees will vary greatly.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied Feb 13 2024, 10:08

Okay, so if you're Househacking, why would you need a Property Manager....? You are the Property Manager.

Your analysis has 2 units that total out to $1800. But if you're Househacking then you need to take away the income for one of those units because you'll be living in that unit.

I don't see water, sewage or garbage either. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Malik Elate
Votes |
Replied Feb 13 2024, 10:09
Quote from @Nathan Harden:

Okay, so if you're Househacking, why would you need a Property Manager....? You are the Property Manager.

Your analysis has 2 units that total out to $1800. But if you're Househacking then you need to take away the income for one of those units because you'll be living in that unit.

I read in the biggerpockets book to include property management in the event that I move out, I will add water and garbage as well

User Stats

Votes
Malik Elate
Votes |
Replied Feb 13 2024, 10:11
Quote from @Amanda McKee:

Overall it looks like you captured the key data, I would include a row with % for each expense to calculate off of so you can see what your assumptions are easily or change them. I.e. Cap x is 5% and calc off that and prop mgmt is 10%, etc. Not every project will use the exact same ratios, if you're doing a flip and everything is brand new than you probably don't need much for cap x, but if it's an old house needing repairs than that will likely need to be higher. Or if you're considering LTR and STR than prop. mgmt fees will vary greatly.

Good idea for the percentage row, I am going with LTR, thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 14 2024, 17:05

@Malik Elate

$3000 Closing costs seem a little low. Is any rehab required? 

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Lopez-Torres
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Feb 14 2024, 18:25
Quote from @Malik Elate:

I read in the biggerpockets book to include property management in the event that I move out, I will add water and garbage as well

Even if you move out you can still self manage the property. If you have good tenants in place and have systems developed you can pocket that money monthly until you scale significantly. Then look into property management as needed. Just my advice.

User Stats

Votes
Malik Elate
Votes |
Replied Feb 14 2024, 18:25
Quote from @Jake Baker:

@Malik Elate

$3000 Closing costs seem a little low. Is any rehab required? 

I'm using down payment assistance, 3000 is what I estimate will be out of pocket after

User Stats

Votes
Malik Elate
Votes |
Replied Feb 14 2024, 18:35
Quote from @Isaiah Lopez-Torres:
Quote from @Malik Elate:

Even if you move out you can still self manage the property. If you have good tenants in place and have systems developed you can pocket that money monthly until you scale significantly. Then look into property management as needed. Just my advice.

Ok yeah that sounds good, also to answer your other question, the first units rent is for a roommate, I can rent out of the rooms in my unit

User Stats

Votes
John Morris
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Apr 6 2024, 12:49
Thanks for sharing your numbers. I plan to duplex or triplex hack and I am including 5% for management as a buffer in case there is something I am not factoring in. Also, in six years I will move from this area and may not be able to manage remotely.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Swierczek
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Apr 10 2024, 13:59

@Malik Elate how did this go for you? Did you purchase this one?

• Lender Arizona (#103522), Colorado (#103522), New Jersey (#103522), Florida (#103522), Wisconsin (#103522), Minnesota (#103522), Tennessee (#103522), and Texas (#103522)

The Tim Swierczek Team - Gold Star Mortgage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Malik Elate
Votes |
Replied Apr 10 2024, 14:58
Quote from @Tim Swierczek:

@Malik Elate how did this go for you? Did you purchase this one?

Thanks for asking, closing on a different place Saturday!