Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Krotz
Pro Member
  • Hilliard, OH
Votes |
Dscr Loan New Construction

Mitchell Krotz
Pro Member
  • Hilliard, OH
Posted Feb 6 2024, 20:28

Looking into DSCR loans for a new build that I wish to make an Airbnb.

Besides looking at what Airbnb comps are pulling in, backup would be what long terms are pulling in and average selling cost of what the home will be when finished.. anything else I should be plopping at? Anyone with some background in this? Perhaps thinking of a  modular style home to get it up and running quickly. Any thoughts?! First time looking into this so any references our resources will be appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Feb 7 2024, 04:25
Quote from @Mitchell Krotz:

Besides looking at what Airbnb comps are pulling in, backup would be what long terms are pulling in and average selling cost of what the home will be when finished.. anything else I should be plopping at? Anyone with some background in this? Perhaps thinking of a  modular style home to get it up and running quickly. Any thoughts?! First time looking into this so any references our resources will be appreciated. 

DSCR won’t be the product you would use for ground up construction/ new build. You would utilize and bridge loan to build the asset and stabilize thereafter with a DSCR product. 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 7 2024, 06:01

DSCR Loans only available when property is fully finished and turnkey, however you might want to look into a lender that offers ground-up construction loans and DSCR.

Also - be careful around the modular home / quick property types since these mortgage loans typically have to be secured by foundational real estate, so anything that can be moved or not fully foundational is probably a no-go (can't foreclose/protect the investment as a lender)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 7 2024, 09:53

I don't think you need modular, and I disagree with the guy below me. What we do with clients who build single family and multifamily is we break the process up into several pieces. Land acquisition, entitlement and zoning, permitting and site plan, construction budgeting, and then at that point, we do the last piece which is cost of financing. That is how developers do the same process. From purchasing land to breaking ground in Columbus is typically 60 days. I sold a piece of land in December in Newark, OH near the intel site that we just finalized their construction budget after pricing all of the finishes, suppliers, etc and now they are turning it in to close on their construction loan within 14 days. All of the equity is coming from the land purchase and there are DSCR loans for ground up multifamily and single family. I'll shoot you a PM to connect further. I wouldn't build modular. There are 400,000 units built for multifamily per year and no one does modular build. you can't change the Floorplans. Just talk to someone with a lot of experience and several builders. We do the whole process and are now expanding to tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Miami for infill lots and building 3 units on a slab.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 7 2024, 10:02
Quote from @Robin Simon:

DSCR Loans only available when property is fully finished and turnkey, however you might want to look into a lender that offers ground-up construction loans and DSCR.

Also - be careful around the modular home / quick property types since these mortgage loans typically have to be secured by foundational real estate, so anything that can be moved or not fully foundational is probably a no-go (can't foreclose/protect the investment as a lender)

there are ground up dscr loans for ground up with 10% down for SFR. there were 3 at BP con I probably still have the flyers.

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Krotz
Pro Member
  • Hilliard, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Hilliard, OH
Replied Feb 7 2024, 10:19
Quote from @Robert Ellis:

I don't think you need modular, and I disagree with the guy below me. What we do with clients who build single family and multifamily is we break the process up into several pieces. Land acquisition, entitlement and zoning, permitting and site plan, construction budgeting, and then at that point, we do the last piece which is cost of financing. That is how developers do the same process. From purchasing land to breaking ground in Columbus is typically 60 days. I sold a piece of land in December in Newark, OH near the intel site that we just finalized their construction budget after pricing all of the finishes, suppliers, etc and now they are turning it in to close on their construction loan within 14 days. All of the equity is coming from the land purchase and there are DSCR loans for ground up multifamily and single family. I'll shoot you a PM to connect further. I wouldn't build modular. There are 400,000 units built for multifamily per year and no one does modular build. you can't change the Floorplans. Just talk to someone with a lot of experience and several builders. We do the whole process and are now expanding to tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Miami for infill lots and building 3 units on a slab.

Yes, would love any additional information. I did go online and read about DSCR ground up loans, so I know they are out there.

Thanks for the reply

User Stats

Votes
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 7 2024, 10:23
Quote from @Robin Simon:

there are ground up dscr loans for ground up with 10% down for SFR. there were 3 at BP con I probably still have the flyers.

I wouldn't call that a true "DSCR Loan" - especially considering that a ground-up construction property won't have any cash flow so DSCR would be negative or 0 numerator if you'd try to calculate it

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Feb 7 2024, 10:41
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

I wouldn't call that a true "DSCR Loan" - especially considering that a ground-up construction property won't have any cash flow so DSCR would be negative or 0 numerator if you'd try to calculate it

I agree with Robin here. DSCR loans are long term loans that require the property to be fully finished. Ground-Up financing is much different. Lenders will require that you have building experience, plans, permits, and a solid project. Most lenders will allow up to 80%-85% LTC on Ground-Up as long as you have experience.

You can refinance a new build into a DSCR loan as long as you have the certificate of occupancy and if there are comparable properties to support the ARV value.

If this is an STR, DSCR lenders will require that you have booked the property on an STR site for 12 months or have 12 months of prior experience with a different property. There are a handful of lenders that do not have this requirement or you can request an exception if you have compensating factors. This includes, experience with LTRs, Liquidity and FICO.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 7 2024, 11:52
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

ground up multifamily is not 0 cashflow there are hundreds of thousands of apartments built every year, leased up, and sold for a profit as well. we build not only at a discount for investors but 1% on infill lots I'd be really careful with all your absolutes. you can get land for 10k in columbus on lots you can build 2-4 units on in one of the cheapest construction markets in the country. I'm not sure where you originate and underwrite ground up multifamily deals but it certainly isn't in ohio. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 7 2024, 11:54
Quote from @Erik Estrada:
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

I agree with Robin here. DSCR loans are long term loans that require the property to be fully finished. Ground-Up financing is much different. Lenders will require that you have building experience, plans, permits, and a solid project. Most lenders will allow up to 80%-85% LTC on Ground-Up as long as you have experience.

You can refinance a new build into a DSCR loan as long as you have the certificate of occupancy and if there are comparable properties to support the ARV value.

If this is an STR, DSCR lenders will require that you have booked the property on an STR site for 12 months or have 12 months of prior experience with a different property. There are a handful of lenders that do not have this requirement or you can request an exception if you have compensating factors. This includes, experience with LTRs, Liquidity and FICO.

Yes but there are still ground up DSCR loans. Like I said, I went to BP Con and there were 3 different lenders doing them. Most are more for single family, some are from hard money funds that want to finance new construction. If your builder has 5 new builds in 3 years that is typically the criteria. I help investors get underwritten and close ground up financing deals every week. I was just saying the product exists and so much so there were vendors who paid significant money at BPcon to get the word out about that product. it might be in certain markets, there might be strict criteria, but a lender saying they don't exist is crazy.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Feb 7 2024, 12:00
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Yes but there are still ground up DSCR loans. Like I said, I went to BP Con and there were 3 different lenders doing them. Most are more for single family, some are from hard money funds that want to finance new construction. If your builder has 5 new builds in 3 years that is typically the criteria. I help investors get underwritten and close ground up financing deals every week. I was just saying the product exists and so much so there were vendors who paid significant money at BPcon to get the word out about that product. it might be in certain markets, there might be strict criteria, but a lender saying they don't exist is crazy.

Who are these lenders and what is their underwriting criteria, besides the experience factor? 

Just because someone paid to be at BP Con does not necessarily mean it’s a legit product. Just about anyone can get on this site and promote their services. That does not necessarily mean you are credible or have completed said loans. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 7 2024, 12:02
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Who are these lenders and what is their underwriting criteria, besides the experience factor? 

Just because someone paid to be at BP Con does not necessarily mean it’s a legit product. Just about anyone can get on this site and promote their services. That does not necessarily mean you are credible or have completed said loans. 

I'm just wondering, are you saying "DSCR loans for ground up construction don't exist". If that's you saying that, that would be incorrect. If you agree with that statement then we agree and there's nothing further needed. I'm not here to argue I'm here to let the poster know that there are DSCR ground up loans that exist.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Feb 7 2024, 12:05
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

I'm just wondering, are you saying "DSCR loans for ground up construction don't exist". If that's you saying that, that would be incorrect. If you agree with that statement then we agree and there's nothing further needed. I'm not here to argue I'm here to let the poster know that there are DSCR ground up loans that exist.

DSCR loans and Ground Up construction loans are two completely separate loans. No need to argue.

If you have a lender that offers a hybrid style program, please do share as it will definitely help us all out. Thank you. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Feb 7 2024, 14:32

@Erik Estrada hard money does ground up as poster asks. It's short term and very pricey. Hard money wants BIG equity as we are talking about a high risk loan that the hard money guy gets land to foreclose upon (60% loan to value or less). Hard money wants cash equity, good FICO, exit plan to pay them off in 18 months. Stick built WILL not fit an 18 month plan. Plans Specs Cost Breakdown Permits are going to take 10 -14 months to start. Assume you need an extension and pay 5 points.

@Robert Ellis two people asked you for reference names of such lenders, if you are brokering then just say they can DM you. 

There are short term construction lenders FULL DOCUMENTATION, the whole novel of borrower past 30 months. None roll to a permanent loan that I know of today for non owner spec.

@Mitchell Krotz As to modular. IF the subject land is in city with  accessible roads contact Impressa- Ken Semler. They have solutions that appear when complete just like stick built. Some lenders are 'hatin' on modular so get it in writing.

DSCR is a type of loan product not a lender type. MARKET rents cover all the payment plus a dollar. The subject must be rent ready at closing so building/new construction is not a fit. IT may be an exit strategy from your hard money or construction loan. This means you have to do two loans. Get qualified for the end loan now. The lender doing DSCR today may change their rules or not be around in 24 months given this tough market.

User Stats

Votes
Otis Sanders
  • Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 8 2024, 04:17

@Robert Ellis

Would love to connect on this. I’m with a group trying to do something similar.

User Stats

Votes
Otis Sanders
  • Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 8 2024, 04:18

@Robert Ellis

Please let me know if you find these

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 8 2024, 05:42

Do you have any rehab experience over the last 3 years? 

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Krotz
Pro Member
  • Hilliard, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Hilliard, OH
Replied Feb 8 2024, 07:49
Quote from @Anson Smith:

Do you have any rehab experience over the last 3 years? 

Who is that directed towards?

If me then yes, I have a couple properties I have worked on or in the process of. 

User Stats

Votes
Christie Gahan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Replied Feb 8 2024, 10:09

Run all your budgets as a LTR . If your STR is allowed and profitabe, Great! Do a happy dance! But, you need multiple exit strategies.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 11 2024, 20:41
Quote from @Christie Gahan:

Run all your budgets as a LTR . If your STR is allowed and profitabe, Great! Do a happy dance! But, you need multiple exit strategies.

very smart we do this for our underwriting 

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Matuga
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Feb 15 2024, 20:18

There are companies that typically specialize in DSCR products and other Hard Money bridge options that are dipping their toes into ground up construction funding. DSCR loans by nature require that there is no deferred maintenance and no construction needed. You qualify for the loan by the rent revenue the property brings in and there is no revenue coming in from a product that is under renovation or being built... To do ground up construction, you need a bridge that can either be construction only or cover both horizontal and vertical construction. They are interest only and typically run for a term of 12 months. Experience not necessarily required but a lot more options if you have completed exits.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 13 2024, 20:15

did you find one? we have 3 clients looking for 85% LTC lender for ground up and we would be an LP as a qualifier and licensed general contractor for triplex builds in Columbus Ohio.