Exploring the Realms of Real Estate Investment

Exploring the Realms of Real Estate Investment

Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Greetings BiggerPockets Community,

I hope this message finds you all in good spirits. As a newcomer to the dynamic world of real estate investing, I am eager to embark on this journey armed with knowledge and insights from seasoned professionals such as yourselves.

Having recently delved into the intricacies of buying and selling real estate, I find myself at the intersection of curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge. With utmost respect for the collective wisdom within this community, I would be deeply appreciative if you could share your experiences, guidance, and any pearls of wisdom you've acquired along your real estate journey.

Specifically, I am keen to explore the following inquiries:

1. What pivotal lessons did you learn during your initial forays into real estate investment?

2. For those who began their journey as newcomers, what advice would you offer to someone taking their first steps in this dynamic field?

3. How do you approach the balancing act between buying and selling properties, especially in the ever-evolving real estate market?

Your insights will undoubtedly serve as a compass in navigating the nuances of real estate investment. I am immensely grateful for any contributions to this discourse and look forward to fostering meaningful connections within this esteemed community.

Thank you for your time and generosity of knowledge.

Warm regards,

Oliver Marson

2Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Oliver Marson I'll jump in and answer some questions. 

    It's obvious but leveraging the search bar (upper right hand corner) is a powerful tool for REI. You can find discussions about strategy, running numbers, creating spreadsheets, and real life problems investors run into. These forums are the pointy end of the spear. There's so many experts here giving honest responses. I had zero experience with RE before 2018. When I started out I read and read and read as to not make novice choices when buying, or remodeling RE.

    Vet your contractors. Even if you get a referral you need to get to know them. It's not a dinner date but if you want to remodel RE and not DIY everything you have to network, vet contractors wisely, and build professional relationships. You need to recommend them constantly which makes them more $$$. We have had success with contractors and it's because I vet them and treat them fairly. You don't need to hire the most expensive guys to get quality work completed. 

    Everything takes longer and cost $5-10k more than you estimate. We have remodel a handful of properties (semi-gut remodels) and it's always this way. I've DIY'd a lot work in the past (unsustainable) but saved a ton of money. It was necessary to get these deals done; to make the numbers work. Surprises pop up but you have to plow through them. If you don't have the skills or CASH on hand to finish a project, property, etc. REI is very dangerous. I idea of investing with no experience and using OPM is a lie. Nothing is passive when you start out. Money is never free. There's always a cost to get started.

    That's my rant for the day but hopefully it inspires someone new to real estate. You don't need a degree, Now of it is rocket science. I wish I would have started 6 years before I jumped in. People can escape renting and be owners of property if they buckle down, make sacrifices, and take educated risks. Cheers. 

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    @Jaron Walling I sincerely appreciate your insightful and candid reflections on your real estate journey. Your seasoned advice resonates deeply with someone like me, who is relatively new to real estate investing but eager to learn and grow.

    Your emphasis on leveraging the BiggerPockets platform and the importance of thorough research is duly noted. As I navigate the complexities of real estate, your words on vetting contractors and managing remodeling projects add a practical perspective that I find immensely valuable.

    Your acknowledgment of the time and cost nuances in real estate endeavors aligns with the reality I am starting to experience. Your transparency about the challenges and the necessity for both skills and financial preparedness is truly enlightening.

    I am inspired by your journey and the success you've achieved through strategic networking and informed decision-making. Your insights have become a beacon for those, like myself, seeking to make educated strides in the world of real estate.

    Thank you for sharing your wisdom, and I look forward to engaging in further discussions that contribute to my growth in this exciting field.

    Warm regards,

    Oliver Marson 

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
    2y

    @Oliver Marson Your post is truly a pleasure to read; it flows like poetry. First, I want to echo what @Jaron Walling advised regarding utilizing BP's search and immersing yourself in the vast pool of knowledge here. You will learn about different creative strategies investors are using today, various property types, and current market trends (and, of course, much more). It's a bit of a rabbit hole, but carve out time to get educated and stay informed.

    Also, networking and developing relationships with fellow investors, real estate professionals, contractors, and the like will help open doors to further opportunities and provide valuable support along your journey.

    Lastly, but in my opinion, most importantly, is to develop a clear investment strategy. Define your goals and create a strategy that aligns with them. Know your budget and decide whether you will finance your deal or buy all cash. Having a plan and building your team will help you make much better decisions.

    That's my two cents; you'll have to take the nose dive and understand that sometimes your first deal isn't going to be the best deal, but you will learn so much more from the experience!

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    @Lateefah Mathews Thank you sincerely for your gracious words. Your wisdom resonates deeply, and I'm eager to embark on this educational journey with BP's resources. Networking, a cornerstone, as you've rightly noted, and your insights inspire me to cultivate meaningful connections. I envision a future where our paths cross, exchanging knowledge in the intricate dance of real estate. Looking forward to the day our endeavors intertwine.

    Real Estate Investment Strategist,

    706.597.6027

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.