Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Troy Smith
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Votes |
Investing in Akron/Canton area

Troy Smith
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Posted

Anyone have any advice about investing in Akron/Canton area in Ohio. Looking. To buy my first property there. Also wanting to find a good realtor in that area.

User Stats

Votes
Kristen L Garner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

Hi Troy! I personally invest in Indianapolis but I work with a lot of investors who buy in the Akron area. I'd be happy to chat with you about what kind of numbers and trends I'm seeing in that area if you'd like to DM me.  Best of luck!

• Lender Wisconsin (#1660690), Iowa (#2189887), Rhode Island (#2189887), Alabama (#2189887), Tennessee (#2189887), Nationwide (#2189887), Washington (#MLO-103098), Oregon (#2189887), New Jersey (#2189887), North Carolina (#I-210621), Idaho (#MLO-2082189887), Colorado (#100531120), Idaho (#2189887), Texas (#2189887), Nevada (#76744), Montana (#2189887), Arizona (#1034355), South Carolina (#MLO - 2189887), Ohio (#MLO-OH.2189887), Michigan (#2189887), IL (#031.0074060), Georgia (#2189887), Connecticut (#LO-2189887), Indiana (#53742), Florida (#LO93837), and California (#CA-DFPI12189887)

• 213-880-0434
  • http://kristenloans.com
  • [email protected]

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied
Quote from @Troy Smith:

Anyone have any advice about investing in Akron/Canton area in Ohio. Looking. To buy my first property there. Also wanting to find a good realtor in that area.

I'm really high on Akron and Canton right now. Pricing is very similar to Cleveland but the landlord tenant laws are more landlord friendly.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Tice
  • Investor
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Canton, OH
Replied

Hey Troy. Jose Medina is the investor friendly realtor for stark Co. Tell him I sent ya- he’s done a ton of deals for me. Great guy.

User Stats

Votes
Troy Smith
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Replied
Quote from @Stephen Tice:

Hey Troy. Jose Medina is the investor friendly realtor for stark Co. Tell him I sent ya- he’s done a ton of deals for me. Great guy.

Awesome,  thanks for letting me know. I’ll definitely reach out to him

User Stats

Votes
Jack Smith
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Replied

Hi Troy, 

If you become a member of Tuscarawas Cty REIA (tuscreia.org) You can come up to any meeting in Canton (SCREIA.org) or Akron (ACREIA.org).  Plenty of folks to network with and we also do a lot of events not requiring membership.  We have a lot of transactions going on, education opportunities, and you can get to know the vendors and contractors we use as well.  

Well worth the time and membership fee!  

User Stats

Votes
Troy Smith
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Replied
Quote from @Jack Smith:

Hi Troy, 

If you become a member of Tuscarawas Cty REIA (tuscreia.org) You can come up to any meeting in Canton (SCREIA.org) or Akron (ACREIA.org).  Plenty of folks to network with and we also do a lot of events not requiring membership.  We have a lot of transactions going on, education opportunities, and you can get to know the vendors and contractors we use as well.  

Well worth the time and membership fee!  

Didn’t know about that. I’ll definitely check it out!

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied
Quote from @Troy Smith:

Advice, yes find a good deal., If you are cash you do not need a realtor. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hello all,

I am new in this forum.  I would appreciate any advice for rental investment in Akron as an out-of-state invsetor. I myself is an architectural designer/structural engineer.  Any advice on the fixer upper would be appreciated.  Any recommendations on how to find the right PM and contractor/realioable handimen?  

User Stats

Votes
Replied

sorry for the typos

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied
Quote from @Troy Smith:

If you are a cash buyer you do not need a realtor. I know many that have purchased many in Cleveland / Akron never using a realtor, including myself 

User Stats

Votes
Nadeem Alamgir
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

You should check out Cleveland! 

Key Realty. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied

@Troy Smith Advice on those markets would really depend on what you are looking for as your first investment. What do you think you can find there that you can't replicate in Dover? 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Troy Smith
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dover, OH
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Arth:

@Troy Smith Advice on those markets would really depend on what you are looking for as your first investment. What do you think you can find there that you can't replicate in Dover? 

Hello Ryan, I was looking in those markets because my local Dover/ New Philadelphia area is small so there's not as many options available.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied

@Troy Smith I understand. The geographic area that you mentioned is huge, especially when you consider the outlying areas. You have everything from low end inner city properties to rural properties and a ton of small towns in between. You can make money anywhere, you just need to look at the demand for what you are offering and how big the pool of qualified tenants would be (if considering rentals). Consider what client profile you would cater to and then see what properties that would attract that client trade for. 

Pick a market based on the demographics, for example, and then get comfortable with what things cost and what they rent for. Search for local meetups or attend the REIA meetings to meet others, or find them on here. Learn as much as you can.