Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Trent Davis
Votes |
Flip or Rental, how to decide?

Trent Davis
Posted

When looking at a property what is the best way to determine whether to make it a rental or a flip?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Cauldwell
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied

Hi @Trent Davis!

I would consider the following. 

Market rent of the area, and what you could rent the property out for once you have rehabbed the property. Along with that, what will be the monthly expenses if you decided to keep it as a rental. Mortgage, tax, insurance, HOA, etc.

If the cash flow looks nice, then consider what your next step is and what you will need to get there. If you sell the property, you will have more money in your pocket, thus funding your next project. If you do a cash out refinance, does that give you enough money to fund the next project as well. 

If you already have the money for your next project, what is more important to you. Keeping as much cash on hand for a safety net, or having the funds available to do multiple projects, or start working on your rental portfolio. 

User Stats

Votes
Jose Jacob
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Trent Davis:

When looking at a property what is the best way to determine whether to make it a rental or a flip

Rental and flip is two different wing of RE investing. Some people like to rent for long term wealth and some want immediate cash. Some investors do a BRRRR. It all depends what type of investor you want to be.

If you are buying a property market ready to rent, just do the numbers and apply 1% rule

If you are buying a property with lot of repairs, do the numbers' and do a flip if it is profitable and if you need immediate cash.

If you buying a property need some repairs and you can fix it and rent it and do a BRRRR on it later on

Good luck

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes