Special Warranty Deed

Special Warranty Deed

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

A friend of mine is buying a house next week, and when he looked at the settlement package, he noticed that he's getting a special warranty deed (SWD) instead of a general warranty deed (GWD). I know the difference between the two, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly might be prompting the seller to transfer with a SWD instead of the standard GWD? My friend has asked the attorney handling the settlement, but the attorney represents the seller, so I'm not convinced my friend will get an honest answer.

Here are the two potential reasons I'm thinking:

1. The seller doesn't have title insurance from when he bought, and doing this would eliminate any future exposure the seller might have to claims prior to his ownership. I assume this is why banks sell foreclosures using SWD -- it eliminates their need to purchase title insurance during their short hold period.

2. I'm wondering if the closing attorney or title company may get a kickback by transferring using a SWD, since that would essentially eliminate the exposure to the seller's title policy.

#1 seems like a reasonable reason to do this, and I assume my friend's title insurance would protect him should any claims/issues arise.

I'm not sure if my assumption about #2 (the old title company paying to have the old title insurance "closed out" is something that really happens or not, which is why I'm asking this question. If that's the case, my friend would demand a GWD.

Does anyone know if #2 really happens?

Does anyone have any other ideas on why a seller might choose to convey using a SWD?

Lastly, any recommendations on how hard my friend should push back on this or any other questions he should be asking to ensure that any risk is mitigated? I realize it's easy to say, "He should just get title insurance and he'll be protected," (which I agree with), but I'm also trying to get a better legally understanding of the situation as well.

@Bill Gulley - Would love your take on this!

0Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y

Hey, thanks man, LOL

#1 is very possible, #2 I don't see that as a reason.

Watch out thinking you're protected with title insurance, look to Schedule BII for exceptions as they may insure title as granted which may not cover underlying issues but only to those interests granted.

J. if I were you I'd call that attorney explaining you (as an agent) are advising your client and need to know what's up. Need be, draft a consultation agreement for $5, POC you don't have to be on the contract to advise.

Sounds to me like a relative might have been left out or possible liens could be pending but not shown of record yet. Individuals generally don't convey by SWD unless some matter is excepted out in that deed.

If it's just a SWD without listed exceptions sounds too like the attorney is venturing off to where he thinks he's simply protecting his client. I would not allow him to go there. If the seller didn't obtain title coverage, it's not to late, he can probably get a policy off the same search that will be done for your friend. It might be cheaper than arguing and paying the attorney additional fees, holding up settlement and fighting over it.

I'll bet the contract and norm is to transfer marketable title, insured title, unless stipulated in the contract, if this is a last minute issue I'd guess it's just the attorney, seeing if he can get away with it in representing his client.

There is also another issue so far as financing, if your friend is obtaining a loan the lender will require a GWD being insurable as well, exceptions are made for institutional lenders selling as the property is sold by a corporate body arising out of a foreclosure, a different issue than buying from an individual.

Make it a lending requirement for settlement and that SWD may go away.

But, ask, are there any exceptions being made and why? If title insurance covers the deed exceptions then there may not be an issue, but I'd not go there, IMO. If that individual seller is no longer responsible for some future issue then it may be hard to motivate them if needed to cure any issue. :)

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Hey, thanks man, LOL

    #1 is very possible, #2 I don't see that as a reason.

    Watch out thinking you're protected with title insurance, look to Schedule BII for exceptions as they may insure title as granted which may not cover underlying issues but only to those interests granted.

    J. if I were you I'd call that attorney explaining you (as an agent) are advising your client and need to know what's up. Need be, draft a consultation agreement for $5, POC you don't have to be on the contract to advise.

    Sounds to me like a relative might have been left out or possible liens could be pending but not shown of record yet. Individuals generally don't convey by SWD unless some matter is excepted out in that deed.

    If it's just a SWD without listed exceptions sounds too like the attorney is venturing off to where he thinks he's simply protecting his client. I would not allow him to go there. If the seller didn't obtain title coverage, it's not to late, he can probably get a policy off the same search that will be done for your friend. It might be cheaper than arguing and paying the attorney additional fees, holding up settlement and fighting over it.

    I'll bet the contract and norm is to transfer marketable title, insured title, unless stipulated in the contract, if this is a last minute issue I'd guess it's just the attorney, seeing if he can get away with it in representing his client.

    There is also another issue so far as financing, if your friend is obtaining a loan the lender will require a GWD being insurable as well, exceptions are made for institutional lenders selling as the property is sold by a corporate body arising out of a foreclosure, a different issue than buying from an individual.

    Make it a lending requirement for settlement and that SWD may go away.

    But, ask, are there any exceptions being made and why? If title insurance covers the deed exceptions then there may not be an issue, but I'd not go there, IMO. If that individual seller is no longer responsible for some future issue then it may be hard to motivate them if needed to cure any issue. :)

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks @Bill Gulley ...really appreciate the response!

    So, my friend asked the attorney, and the attorney responded that SWD is standard in Delaware (that's where the house is) and that he's never done a GWD. This is an all-cash deal, so there's no way to test the "lender requires GWD" theory...perhaps things are just different in Delaware?

    Btw, thought this was funny/interesting -- my friend isn't convinced about title insurance (he's willing to self insure given his financial situation), and in doing some research, he found out that the title insurance premium is split between the closing agent and the title insurance company. My friend asked the closing attorney for a discount on the title insurance (from the attorney's cut), and the attorney agreed to discount it $350.

    Never knew there was room for negotiation on that front...

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Never tried to get a rebate on it, but I know the issuing attorney gets about 70% of the premium, but he does have to defend it later if something comes up.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Everything is negotiable, everything. If he's willing to go there, then all is okay! :)

    BTW I didn't mention that the lender's policy cover foreclosure issues and that it's usually free, goes with the owner's policy. :)

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    The lenders policy in our area is 50% of what the regular title insurance premium is if it is bought from the same company at the same time. It doesn't seem right they are both insuring for the same thing and it needs paid for twice.

    I myself hate SWDs. I know banks use them on foreclosure properties and I have had to take one or 2 but they should have to guarantee they own it to sell it to you.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    We get title insurance discounts frequently. Just ask for a "reinsurance rate" from the incumbent title company.

    I'd say #1 is probable. I'd also say SWD for the general ownership transfer sounds bogus. There is no reason not to warrant the transfer unless there are significant extenuating circumstances. If I were to guess, I'd say there is a potential "extenuating circumstance" the seller is not obligated to divulge that may show up later. And, yes, I'm paranoid. Two years after buying a courthouse foreclosure we received a "demand letter" for a lien placed by the city on a property where a "lot cleanup" (among other issues) occurred. The city remediation occurred before we purchased the property (we were unaware), and the lien was placed almost 4 months after our acquisition. Round and round... title insurance covers prior unknown liens and wouldn't cover this event since the lien occurred after our policy. %^&# happens I guess.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for the feedback, folks...

    Like I said above, the closing attorney insists this is standard in Delaware, and it's true that there's a paragraph in the standard Delaware contract that states the seller has a right to convey via SWD. So, there's really no recourse at this point, anyway...

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott Special Warranty deeds are the standard in MD also. So expect that when you do deals here. Of course it is all negatiable and I slip little things like that into my contracts.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:
    @J Scott Special Warranty deeds are the standard in MD also. So expect that when you do deals here. Of course it is all negatiable and I slip little things like that into my contracts.

    Okay, that's very weird...I closed on my first MD property last week and got a GWD...

    I'll ask the title company about that next time I'm in there...

    Thanks for the info, btw!!!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    @J ScottThat is weird. The board of realtors contract, at laest the version for Baltimore, says special warranty.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Title insurance companies must have a good lobby in DE and MD! :)

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Our standard sales contracts in Texas call for delivery of GWD but I always change it to SWD on all my sales. I've never seen the wisdom, at least in my state, of insuring beyond my ownership period. Kinda like buying a 10 y/o used car, keeping it for 3 months, then selling and warrantying to the next buyer that no prior owner has ever wrecked, flooded or otherwise damaged the vehicle. Just makes little sense. In Texas, the real beneficiary of a GWD over a SWD is the title company because all Texas residential owner policies of title contain a subrogration clause that allows the title company to recoup their losses from the seller for any valid buyer initiated claims on said policy. So, in Texas the seller "generally" pays for the owner's policy which allows the insurer to sue the party who paid the premium for the policy. Right..seems fair to me. You will hardly ever find an attorney drafted real sales contract in Texas (outside the real estate commission's version) that transfers real property by anything other than a SWD for this reason.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome o BP @Guy Gimenez !

    Our Office/warehouse in TX was by GWD Guy.

    The subrogation is customary in insurance, the seller was responsible to provide good title, the TI pays and then goes after the seller, same thing in casualty insurance policies. You subordinate your rights to indemnification by the guilty party and they seek the monies back they paid out, or to another insurer.

    That's why you have TI, you could buy a place that has unknown issues, hold it 3 months, sell it and then the issue arises and you get sued. If you have TI, no problem usually, if you didn't, you pay to defend it along with damages and then you go sue your seller, the chain keeps going.

    If you don't get coverage, it's on you. Get TI and sell with a GWD and you'll sleep better.

    If the title insurance/company isn't a big deal as to which company, go with the one who did it last, they'll be on the hook and you should have fewer issues, my thought. TI is like any other insurer, if it's not covered or they can avoid a claim, they generally will.

    As I mentioned too, lenders won't usually take a SWD from an individual selling with uninsured title. :)

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcome Bill.

    No question that GWD’s are the most commonly used deed in Texas as I’m sure is the case in most other states. My only point is that as a seller in Texas, it does not benefit me to sell by GWD so I don’t.

    While its customary for insurance companies include a subrogation clause in their policies to mitigate their financial loss on a given policy, I think it’s unwise for a me (as seller) to give the title company the option to exercise that right against me.

    When selling via SWD, if the title company pays a covered claim for an issue that arose prior to my ownership the title company cannot sue me to make them whole again because I didn’t warrant title for all ownership prior to mine. Simply put, the title company suffers the loss and can’t come back to me (seller) to recover those losses.

    I certainly don’t fault anyone for selling via GWD, but I prefer to mitigate my risk in every way possible when selling and the SWD is just one arrow in my quiver that assists in this objective.

  • Capistrano Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    Hi everyone, this is a wonderful discussion as it SWD and GWD has been something I've been trying to figure out.

    I did have a general question. In the event where I was to buy a property with a SWD and was going to flip the property, when I sell the property, what is it that changes the SWD I received to a GWD that I am conveying to the buyer? 

    Is it the act of purchasing title insurance when I am selling it? It is legal documents signed in the process of transferring the deed to my buyers?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.   

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    "I did have a general question. In the event where I was to buy a property with a SWD and was going to flip the property, when I sell the property, what is it that changes the SWD I received to a GWD that I am conveying to the buyer?" 

    First, as previously discussed, you don't have to convey the property to the end buyer via GWD, you can convey by SWD if you choose (and I can't find a good reason not too). It matters not whether you received a GWD or SWD when you purchase, you can choose the type of deed you wish to use when selling. The deed you use to convey is separate and distinct from the deed you received when purchasing.

    "Is it the act of purchasing title insurance when I am selling it? It is legal documents signed in the process of transferring the deed to my buyers?"

    The difference between the two deeds is merely the language of the deed and of course the liability that language creates for you as a seller.

    Hope this helps a bit.

  • Capistrano Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    Hi Guy, thanks for your advice. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.