Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Perry
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
Montgomery Alabama Neighborhood Classes

Mike Perry
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Posted

I am starting to really research the Montgomery, Alabama market in hopes of purchasing this upcoming Fall/Winter. In my analysis, I think I have a good idea of what the A and D areas are. Where I am struggling is identifying the B and C areas. If anyone has better insights of what the Montgomery neighborhood classes are, it would be greatly appreciated. My guess of the classes are listed below. 

NeighborhoodClassZip Codes
Young PlaceA36106
ArrowheadA36117
East MontgomeryA36116; 36117; 36119
BrentwoodA36111
Old CloverdaleA36106
Forest ParkA36106
Cottage HillA36104
McGehee-AllendaleA36111
EdgewoodA36106; 36111
CloverdaleB36106
HillwoodB36106
RidgefieldB36106
SteinerB36106
DalraidaB36109
Forest HillsB36109
WildwoodB36111
Garden DistrictB36104
Centennial HillC36104
Capitol HeightsC36107
NormandaleC36111
Highland ParkD36107
ArlingtonD36105
Edgemont HeightsD36105
South HullD36105
WileyD36105
Washington ParkD36108
WestendD36108
Western HillsD36108
WestgateD36108
Westview GardensD36108
WindwoodD36108
Woodland HillsD36116
Woodley ParkD36116
BoylstonD36110

User Stats

Votes
Greg Parker
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Replied

I agree with your classifications.  Looks like you are 95% on target.

Not all of 36117 is A, the older areas will be B.

36104 is all over the place from A to D.

Capitol Heights has some solid B streets.

36110 has some nice C, almost B areas, but also some D.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Vekselman
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Atlanta GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Atlanta GA
Replied

@Mike Perry

the only time this information is pertinent is if you are looking to hold to properties.  

if you are in the get in and get out strategies like fix and flips or wholesaling then its all about the numbers in the deal.  if the equity makes sense you can make money in all types of neighborhoods.

good luck!!!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike Perry
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied
Quote from @Greg Parker:

I agree with your classifications.  Looks like you are 95% on target.

Not all of 36117 is A, the older areas will be B.

36104 is all over the place from A to D.

Capitol Heights has some solid B streets.

36110 has some nice C, almost B areas, but also some D.

Awesome, thanks for the additional context @Greg Parker!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Perry
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied
Quote from @Peter Vekselman:

@Mike Perry

the only time this information is pertinent is if you are looking to hold to properties.  

if you are in the get in and get out strategies like fix and flips or wholesaling then its all about the numbers in the deal.  if the equity makes sense you can make money in all types of neighborhoods.

good luck!!!!

Thanks Peter, I should have provided my buy criteria. I would be looking to buy and hold and I am targeting B-/C+ neighborhoods.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Currence
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • New York City, NY
Replied

hey guys- that's a comprehensive list there, @Mike Perry. You're clearly doing some homework. I have to say though, I dont really know how any neighborhood in MGM can truly be an "A"? Crime is an issue in every neighborhood, and even in Old Cloverdale, where some of the most expensive real estate lies, you can go one block over and run the risk of random violence occurring. I grew up in Montgomery, and my mom is still there, and I am always considering making some investments there but I stay worried about the overall quality of life catching up with the investability of the city. For instance, I grew up in East Montgomery (Bellwood and Woodmere neighborhoods). They are still OK places to live but I certainly would not consider them "A" neighborhoods....same goes for the surrounding neighborhoods that were higher end when I was growing up like Halcyon, etc.I say all this, because I would love for someone to convince me otherwise, as I would like to get involved down there and I think it would be relatively easy for me to set up a team down there. I know there are wholesalers galore doing deals in Montgomery, and probably are some people investing successfully, but I dont know anyone personally who is achieving great success in Montgomery, so I would love to hear from some. I do know some folkks doing development down there, and a couple of folks doing some mid size multifamily buy and holds that are offering steady returns but they are diversified across many markets...not solely Montgomery. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Parker
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Replied

Definetaly some A neighborhoods out east, Deer Creek, Wynlakes, etc.

I have helped lots of investors purchase about 300 houses in Montgomery in the past 4 years.  We are still getting really close to the 1% rule and have seen some great appreciation.

As far as crime goes, I suppose you could argue, there are no A neighborhoods in the United States anywhere.  The survey compiled by https://ocindex.net/rankings ranked all nations and The US was the 129th safest place to live.  But, who wants to move to Iceland?(#1 safest)

User Stats

Votes
Dave Currence
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • New York City, NY
Replied

@Greg Parker fair enough. I suppose having a gated community helps alleviate security concerns (though I gave many a Wynlakes security guard a hard time in my teen years ;) ). To be clear, I’m not arguing against investing in Montgomery. I’m just trying to get more clarity myself. I’ve thought about getting a few fix and flips together down there, while evaluating some longer term BnH purchases. I think it’s affordability is still appealing to buyers, but you just can’t ignore the decline in many of the more affordable locations. Much of my hesitancy is buoyed by anecdotal evidence like how many people I know who have decided to leave Montgomery. That said, I know people who operate successful businesses there, often from other locations and find great success. One of my good buddies owns a number of restaurants there, and he does well with them because of the low cost of operation and the ability to purchase the RE at a couple of the locations (benefits that are near impossible to achieve in many more upscale markets).

I can tell deals are moving down there, as I get emails regularly with wholesale deals that seem to come and go very quickly. No doubt, people are making moves there…I just haven’t done enough due diligence to go back and see what kind of work has been done on the units and what they traded for/how quickly they traded, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Parker
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Replied

Its hard to find a good flip with any profit in it, but we are doing rather well with the buy and holds.  Most of them need 10-15k renovation.  Yep, same thing here with the security guards in the 80's....lol.

In a number crunch of 300 cities using 10 metrics ranging from home prices to tax rates to vacancy levels, WalletHub determined that Montgomery, Alabama, was the nation’s most affordable city for homebuyers. Rounding out the top 10 of affordable homeownership cities were Flint, Michigan; Toledo, Ohio; Detroit; Akron, Ohio; Warren, Michigan; Pittsburgh; Yuma, Arizona; Springfield, Illinois; and Palm Bay, Florida

User Stats

Votes
Replied

That is about right..i have some properties in Montgomery