Picking your brain - owner financing or rent to own.

Picking your brain - owner financing or rent to own.

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello there,

I have a property that I rented to a family member, they moved out and now the property is vacant. A friend of this family member asked me if I'm interested in selling the property to them in a owner-finance way, or perhaps rent it with an option to buy, it'll be their primary residence and they'll either rent or sell their existing property. Although I wanted to sell the property the traditional way (I put it on the market and didn't sell) I'm open to doing owner financing or rent to own, I still have a mortgage, but I can pay it off if I need to do the owner financing. 

My point is, how do I go about this? what should I have in mind if I decide to do owner financing or rent to own, how would I treat the payments (in reference to taxes). I've done online research but there's so much information saying different things that it has become confusing.

I'd really appreciate any guidance and if you can point me in the right direction here.

P.S, I'm not a real estate investor, just someone with a house in anther estate far from where I'm from. 

Thanks in advance. 

1Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    IMO,  owner financing is a great way to make money on a property.  The biggest 2 plus sides is you collect payment just like a bank does, the PI amortization puts a lot of money in your pocket.  2nd you are not responsible for the property any more.  All repairs are on the legal owners.  

    I would talk with you tax professional about how the income will effectively change your earnings and your tax burden.  

    Biggest down sides.   I have seen this first hand, the owner is now dealing with a individual and not a corporation, the owner will see that as a way to use this leverage when times are tuff and choices need to be made on who and what to pay.  The personal level of the transaction always comes with emotion and thus can cause problems in the long term.  

    Be ready and willing to foreclose on the property.  Have a real estate attorney draw up the lending agreement, amortization schedule and close the property.  Your fees to draw this up is part of the buyers closing cost.  I would recommend that there is a ballon payment period with a deadline.  I found that many do 3 to 5 years.   For example  they have to pay you for the 36 months before they can refinance.  Between months 37 and 59 they can refinance anytime.  At month 60 balance is due in full.  Make sure this drawn out very clearly in the agreement with terms if the owner goes past 60 months and what the penalties are.


    Lastly, I think it's good mojo to offer a rate less than the banks if the buyer could get a loan.  Offer rated higher if they can not. Some times people don't want to get a loan because of principle or other reason even though they could easily qualify.  If you are going to consider doing this with a friend find out why and their motivate to do owner financing.  You might learn there is more to the story and it would behoove you to understand everything you're getting into.  You might find something in the greater good or bad.  

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.