Buying higher-end home SF rentals in Philly Suburbs

Buying higher-end home SF rentals in Philly Suburbs

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes

Right now I have a couple of properties in Roxborough/Manayunk, Far NE Philly and Abington that have all been good rentals. In the coming weeks I'll have about $200k in proceeds from a 1031 that I need to put to work. Rather than buying another two family or two single families in these areas I've been looking more at higher priced homes in Southeastern Montgomery County and Southwestern Bucks County.  These would be larger 3br or 4br singles or higher-end townhomes in highly desirable school districts selling in the $450-600k range.  

While competition is fierce in this price range, the rental market for these types of homes seems very strong, at least based on what I'm seeing on various rental sites.  I've also personally witnessed high-income families who are desperate to move out of Philly as their kids get to be school age and are more than happy to rent for a few years.

I know how to analyze a deal but I was just curious if people had experience in this segment of the market.  In my view the positives are good quality tenants (subjective) who may stay longer due to kids schools, no Philly red-tape, more price appreciation vs city (at least recently), less competition (i.e. fewer rental properties & more owner-occupied).  The downsides seem to be that it could take longer to find tenants and larger homes may require more maintenance.


1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2023 · 81 posts · 40 votes
3y

Hi @Thomas Meyers, I'm an agent that works with investors in the Greater Philadelphia area. I've been seeing a lot people moving away from the city and into the suburbs. They're tried of the red tape and renting to people in the city, like you. Certain parts of Philly are appreciating and will continue to but the suburbs in general are more valuable and are really the end goal for most people. I don't think you'll have as hard of a time finding a tenant as you think. I have a friend who listed a property for rent in Ardmore and within one day they had a tenant in place. If you are in a good area and school district, people will pay for it. And because of that inventory is getting snatched up fast. You'll have to get creative with the ways you find those deals. Typically things will sell before they even get listed on the MLS so I would look into off-market deals. Those properties might need some work but they tend to be a little cheaper than what's listed.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Feasterville Trevose, PA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Bummer. We just listed and sold my mom's house (it's currently under contract), which is a nice townhome that my brothers and I grew up in. I wanted my mom to keep and rent it, but she didn't want to deal with tenants and my brother and I don't have the cash at the moment. An investor bought it for $400k cash the day it listed. If the deal falls apart for some reason I'll let you know.

    My brother and I agree with your analysis. We don't touch properties in Philly due to the hostile environment for landlords. He and I own a SF rental property in Langhorne and a triplex in Morrisville, and he owns 4 other SF investment properties in lower Bucks County. Our Langhorne property would probably sell for over $450, but I wouldn't consider it high end. It does rent well though because of what you said. Lots of people in Philly looking to move their kids into better school districts.

    Best of luck. If I hear of anyone looking to unload a SF home in the area I'll let you know.

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard Gottlieb:

    Bummer. We just listed and sold my mom's house (it's currently under contract), which is a nice townhome that my brothers and I grew up in. I wanted my mom to keep and rent it, but she didn't want to deal with tenants and my brother and I don't have the cash at the moment. An investor bought it for $400k cash the day it listed. If the deal falls apart for some reason I'll let you know.

    My brother and I agree with your analysis. We don't touch properties in Philly due to the hostile environment for landlords. He and I own a SF rental property in Langhorne and a triplex in Morrisville, and he owns 4 other SF investment properties in lower Bucks County. Our Langhorne property would probably sell for over $450, but I wouldn't consider it high end. It does rent well though because of what you said. Lots of people in Philly looking to move their kids into better school districts.

    Best of luck. If I hear of anyone looking to unload a SF home in the area I'll let you know.


     THanks! Its good to hear that others are thinking the same thing.  Agree that the definition of higher-end is getting blurred.  The townhome angle is intriguing because I see nice, but not spectacular, 3br townhomes in good areas renting for $3500-4k/month.  Same with renovated single families in good school districts near me (Wissahickon, Abington, Springfield, Upper Dublin).

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2023 · 81 posts · 40 votes
    3y

    Hi @Thomas Meyers, I'm an agent that works with investors in the Greater Philadelphia area. I've been seeing a lot people moving away from the city and into the suburbs. They're tried of the red tape and renting to people in the city, like you. Certain parts of Philly are appreciating and will continue to but the suburbs in general are more valuable and are really the end goal for most people. I don't think you'll have as hard of a time finding a tenant as you think. I have a friend who listed a property for rent in Ardmore and within one day they had a tenant in place. If you are in a good area and school district, people will pay for it. And because of that inventory is getting snatched up fast. You'll have to get creative with the ways you find those deals. Typically things will sell before they even get listed on the MLS so I would look into off-market deals. Those properties might need some work but they tend to be a little cheaper than what's listed.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Thomas, as a general blanket statement I will agree that the suburbs right now are far more desirable than the city. But it is a little bit deeper than that. 

    I think with the properties you have: Abington, Far NE, and Roxborough/Manayunk I think that you are in a solid place right now. 

    I wouldn't consider those properties as "philly"

    Far NE and Roxborough are very different neighborhoods than what people consider "Philly" to be. There is still lots of demand for rentals. 

    I use a FB group for rentals in NE and get about 60 calls the first day I put it up. 

    I will admit however that I would prefer to stay in Far NE than Roxborough. There has been a lot of development in Roxborough and I am worried that there will be too many renter:owner.

    It's possible I would consider moving those options. 

    That being said, if you have 2-family in Far NE or Roxborough (Brick Twin Duplex) I would think twice before moving those to suburban townhomes

    Especially in the NE, those duplexes right now have tons of value, especially the really well done ones.

    If you can finish the basements of those units and add extra living space to the first floor and even an additional bathroom, you will gain a lot of equity from that.

    I recently put a duplex under contract for 91k over asking in the area with a finished basement.

    So if you're thinking of selling, adding a finished basement will be a good return for you. 

    Plus, renting out a two bed 1 bath with a garage in NE is very easy to move.

    I have a townhouse up in Jamison that is nice, and I am having some trouble moving in.

    I have more info on the market and the situation if you want to discuss more! 

    Feel free to reach out anytime

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:

    Hey Thomas, as a general blanket statement I will agree that the suburbs right now are far more desirable than the city. But it is a little bit deeper than that. 

    I think with the properties you have: Abington, Far NE, and Roxborough/Manayunk I think that you are in a solid place right now. 

    I wouldn't consider those properties as "philly"

    Far NE and Roxborough are very different neighborhoods than what people consider "Philly" to be. There is still lots of demand for rentals. 

    I use a FB group for rentals in NE and get about 60 calls the first day I put it up. 

    I will admit however that I would prefer to stay in Far NE than Roxborough. There has been a lot of development in Roxborough and I am worried that there will be too many renter:owner.

    It's possible I would consider moving those options. 

    That being said, if you have 2-family in Far NE or Roxborough (Brick Twin Duplex) I would think twice before moving those to suburban townhomes

    Especially in the NE, those duplexes right now have tons of value, especially the really well done ones.

    If you can finish the basements of those units and add extra living space to the first floor and even an additional bathroom, you will gain a lot of equity from that.

    I recently put a duplex under contract for 91k over asking in the area with a finished basement.

    So if you're thinking of selling, adding a finished basement will be a good return for you. 

    Plus, renting out a two bed 1 bath with a garage in NE is very easy to move.

    I have a townhouse up in Jamison that is nice, and I am having some trouble moving in.

    I have more info on the market and the situation if you want to discuss more! 

    Feel free to reach out anytime


     Hi, that is really helpful feedback.  I bought a rental in the NE (Parkwood) in May; I had one open house while it was being renovated and the interest was overwhelming.  I had it rented within a couple of days and the work wasn't even finished.  There still seems to be some value there but I do see properties being scooped up and hitting the rental market a few weeks later.  Duplexes in particular seem to be priced much better there as compared to Manayunk/Rox.  I still like Roxborough but agree that it could get tricky because there are going to be hundreds of new units on the market in the coming years, and the area is becoming very congested.  

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Thomas Meyers

    Yep, NE will be a strong market for quite some time IMO.

    Unless they start building new housing like Roxborough. Looks like they prioritized Top Golf over housing lol

    I saw about 4 new construction 30+ unit building come up in Roxborough recently. Near Parker and Livezey off of ridge. Also on Mitchel street.

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.