Bought my first commercial property Seller Financed Pros & Cons

Bought my first commercial property Seller Financed Pros & Cons

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I recently purchased my first commercial (5+) apartment building near Columbus OH and was able to get seller financing on it! Here are my thoughts on the pro's and Con's of seller financing something like this.

Pros:

- Because the seller was willing to carry a mortgage, we were able to close in 3 days. This allowed me to be competitive.

- No mortgage meant no underwriting and no additional lender fees, saving me thousands in closing costs and of course a lot of time.

- The seller was willing to take a lower than market rate interest on the property, simply because He said he was happy with it.

Cons:

- The Seller needed cash up front so I ended up putting 49% of the purchase price down, this was a huge chunk of capital upfront.

- The property also needed a heavy renovation, and since I didn't get a construction loan, I had to front the money for renovation.

Overall there are still good deals in the Ohio market, some make for good seller finance deals, and some do not. If this deal had not been so competitive I probably would have been better off getting a construction loan on it. Just figured Id share as a lot of people always say they want seller finance deals, but its not always the best option.

9Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Marc RiceBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

I recently purchased my first commercial (5+) apartment building near Columbus OH and was able to get seller financing on it! Here are my thoughts on the pro's and Con's of seller financing something like this.

Pros:

- Because the seller was willing to carry a mortgage, we were able to close in 3 days. This allowed me to be competitive.

- No mortgage meant no underwriting and no additional lender fees, saving me thousands in closing costs and of course a lot of time.

- The seller was willing to take a lower than market rate interest on the property, simply because He said he was happy with it.

Cons:

- The Seller needed cash up front so I ended up putting 49% of the purchase price down, this was a huge chunk of capital upfront.

- The property also needed a heavy renovation, and since I didn't get a construction loan, I had to front the money for renovation.

Overall there are still good deals in the Ohio market, some make for good seller finance deals, and some do not. If this deal had not been so competitive I probably would have been better off getting a construction loan on it. Just figured Id share as a lot of people always say they want seller finance deals, but its not always the best option.


 This is great! Are there any strategic ways to secure construction financing that you've found?

Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

    I recently purchased my first commercial (5+) apartment building near Columbus OH and was able to get seller financing on it! Here are my thoughts on the pro's and Con's of seller financing something like this.

    Pros:

    - Because the seller was willing to carry a mortgage, we were able to close in 3 days. This allowed me to be competitive.

    - No mortgage meant no underwriting and no additional lender fees, saving me thousands in closing costs and of course a lot of time.

    - The seller was willing to take a lower than market rate interest on the property, simply because He said he was happy with it.

    Cons:

    - The Seller needed cash up front so I ended up putting 49% of the purchase price down, this was a huge chunk of capital upfront.

    - The property also needed a heavy renovation, and since I didn't get a construction loan, I had to front the money for renovation.

    Overall there are still good deals in the Ohio market, some make for good seller finance deals, and some do not. If this deal had not been so competitive I probably would have been better off getting a construction loan on it. Just figured Id share as a lot of people always say they want seller finance deals, but its not always the best option.


     This is great! Are there any strategic ways to secure construction financing that you've found?

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Nice job, thanks for sharing the story.

    Care to give more detail on the loan terms? I'm curious about the rate, term, balloon, etc.

  • Member since 2022 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Seems to be a lot of money down considering the bank and or other lending would require on average 20%.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.