Converting a corporating housing building to apartment?

Converting a corporating housing building to apartment?

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 102 votes

Ok so here is the deal. We are potentially looking at purchasing a corporate housing project that has 40 units. The project was built in 2010 and is pretty much classified as Class A (stainless steel appliances, wood floors, granite countertops, etc.). Anyways the corporate housing project is going at a cap rate of 11%. Current occupancy is about 90%. Given that this is corporate housing, the cap rates seem to be higher. Anyways based on the rent roll, the leases are short-term, 1 - 3 months, but most are month to month. Our goal is to convert each unit as it vacates. Then once we can lease this up with long-term tenants, we will look to sell for a 6.5% cap or so. We are seeking advise on what needs to be completed to achieve a full conversion.

Given that utilities are included for the tenants, we know we would need to switch this to metering for the units? Is this installation difficult to achieve?

We will also need to move out all of the existing FF&E for all units.

These are the only two items I can really think of. Otherwise, a conversion doesn't seem that difficult. I wanted to ask the community on what else we need to do. Thanks for the help.

0Reply
9 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
    12y

    @Jimmy it sounds like it could be a very nice asset, provided the submarket fundamentals are in place this would be a great way to acquire a class A property at a discount.

    'Wireless' submetering technology is getting less expensive to install and operate these days, here's a link to one provider of equipment: http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering-system-how-it-works?gclid=CM7UirqgjbsCFVWTfgodGAUAFQ

    ( I have no connection with them)

    I would discuss with your property management company or prospective property management companies their capabilities and preferences around submetering equipment and service providers. The ability to remove the variable (but rising) cost of utilities from your income statement would make this an important criteria in manager selection.

  • Real Estate Investor · salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    Sounds like a very nice property. Moving from an 11% to 6.5% cap is a huge difference. Does your local market support a 6.5% cap rate? If so, then you are getting a hell of a buy at an 11% cap rate.

    Did you ever think of turning it into a 55 year and older property ? Maybe you could include utilities and some other amenities and include it in higher rents.

    Good luck

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I agree with Chuck regarding the cap rates. I ran the corporate units for my previous employer as one of my duties. In our case they were regular units just used as corporate. In other complexes I saw them smaller. Are the units convertable.

    Why do you guys want to change it? In our market it was a Cash Cow and totally worth it. In fact we were expanding our market.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 102 votes
    12y

    Elizabeth, this project is a cash cow. I thought about just leaving it be, but I feel like corporate housing is much more complex, isnt it? We have to continually replace FF&E. Did your corporate housing provide housekeeping services as well as amenities like shampoos and other items?

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jimmy Klein

    Honestly corporate housing was really easy and such a cash cow. It was my favorite project. Based on my experience I have really thought about trying to mimic it at our new duty station since I relocated due to my husbands job and no longer work for my old company.

    Our demographic were TDY soldiers. We supplied a vacuum, dish soap, detergent, laundry soap and big bottles of $1 store bottles... and gave them the option of daily, twice weekly, and monthly room service. Most people do not want daily maid service.

    Honestly with a little creativity you can really reduce your overhead. In Virginia Corporate Housing did not have to follow fair housing so we changed the prices like a hotel does based on the season.

    Truly this was one of my favorite projects. Feel free to pm me if I can be of any help. Honestly if I could, I would make all my projects corporate units ESPECIALLY if there was little competition and few Homewood Suite type, extends stay hotel competition.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.