Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Snehanshu Ashar
  • Investor
  • SFO Bay Area, CA
Votes |
Turnkey investment resources for Apartment and other non-SFR

Snehanshu Ashar
  • Investor
  • SFO Bay Area, CA
Posted Jan 17 2022, 16:38

Hi all, I am a newbee on this forum, hoping to get some guidance on my upcoming 1031 exchange.

Scenario:

I am selling my rental property with a 300,000 mortgage, and expecting to sell it in the range of 1,000,000, i.e. 30% LTV (simplified numbers with similar ratio).

I am planning to reinvest in with 1031 exchange and have a bunch of questions on that. This post is about alternatives to SFR turnkey investments.

I have only self-managed a couple of SFO Bay Area SFR rentals, and looking to explore alternatives after my 1031 exchange of one of those properties.

I have looked at a few turnkey or rental SFR investment sites such as roofstock (not sure if they are turnkey or just facilitate investments by providing rental estimates and guarantees based on as-is properties), doorvest, renttoretirement, and turnkeyinvestproperties.

Are there popular and/or convenient options to look for, buy and manage larger complexes (apartments, commercial etc.) similar to the above list of options for SFRs? I posted another question about leverage. Assuming that I can increase the leverage in my 1031 exchange, I want to explore options of one or two large purchase(s) with similar returns instead of buying 5 to 10 SFRs, but have no idea where to look for those, and how to analyze the deals and management.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Singh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jan 22 2022, 14:08

@Snehanshu Ashar

you cant compare the quality of your asset with whats available on the marketing sites in southern and mid western states mentioned above. The neighborhoods and tenant quality are not the same. you can refinance your existing asset in bay area and then explore the market you want to be in. i am in the memphis market and can affirm the deal flow from good neighborhoods is non existent right now. the SFR prices have shot up in price considerably at 2 to 3 X

The deal flow from Inland empire in southern ca is actually better and numbers are the same as OOS investing.

I would encourage you to look at an hour away from SFO e.g. Tracy.  another area can be Sacramento, Central Ca cities like Bakersfield. in southern ca, Riverside County is getting good rental yields and appreciation. 

Do your due diligence and remember you cant buy assets at cheaper prices anymore in california anymore. Dont sell a house in california unless you need to  upgrade your primary residence.. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Replied Jan 22 2022, 16:56

You will find that if you are trying to do a 1031 Exchange into a Syndication under a certain amount then it will be problematic and most syndications will want that amount to be pretty high.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.