Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Contractors
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Mainini
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
Emotionally sensitive male contractors? What the...

Matt Mainini
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Posted

I am really surprised and caught off-guard by this.  Over the last 2 years that I've managed a short-term rental in northern San Antonio, I have experienced many small contractors that get so easily triggered, offended, and upset at me and my wife.  My wife is a soft-spoken 5'2" asian lady.  She is the least intimidating person ever.  This is in sharp contrast to our properties near Santa Cruz, California, where we spend most of our time and energy.

Californian's are known to be laid back and soft compared to east-coasters.  I don't know about Texas.  I believe that we're being very kind, fair, friendly, respectful...you name it.  I'm not new in this space and know how to build long-lasting relationships over many years.

Is there something I'm missing about the dynamics of hiring smaller contractors (handyman, landscaping, etc) in San Antonio?  Are they eating a little too well right now?  Are they supposed to be "the expert" and "have all the answers" rather than work it out with an investor?  I mean, I'd like to discuss how the project will be performed in a general way - and I think my questions about how they will perform the work are offending them.  As if I'm supposed to know nothing, and just rely on them 100% without questions or requests.  

So far the tally must be something like 40% of them go sour really quickly.  In CA, I don't recall a single one, which I have had many many more interactions with contractors over the years.  What is up with San Antonio?!  Or, is it ME!?

Loading replies...