What kind of loan do I need? owner-occupied, no-doc

What kind of loan do I need? owner-occupied, no-doc

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I need a loan to finance a home that will cost $80-100K.  I can put 20-25% down.  I'm looking for a no-doc loan but don't know exactly what kind of lender and loan I should be seeking.  

I do not qualify for a traditional mortgage. I am self-employed but did not make enough to file taxes in 2015, so I can't provide tax returns, W-2s or pay stubs. I need a "No Income Verification" loan. My credit score is about 700. I do not think that the properties I am looking at would qualify for a traditional mortgage anyway, as they are slight fixers / cabin-style properties.

This would be an owner-occupied, residential purchase for my own use. I might rent it eventually, but it's not a typical fix-n-flip or investment scenario, and I would need more than 12 months to repay the loan.

What are my options? I have read about hard money loans, but most seem to be 12-month loans for commercial investment only, not owner-occupied. Do I need a private lender? A sub-prime loan? I have also looked at sites like prosper, upstart and lending tree, but they all seem to require more income verification than I can provide.

With a pretty good credit score and a need for only about $60-80K, where can I find a no-doc loan to finance this purchase? Should I work with a mortgage broker?

The properties I am looking at are in California and New York.

Thank you for your advice.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

You need to stabilize your your ability to borrower in the conventional lending arena by continuing to rent your primary residence until you have 2 years of tax returns and income history.  There is no loan for you now under the terms (no income verification / no doc) that you seek, for an owner occupied transaction, unless you have a family member willing to provide the money.  All manner of consumer mortgage loans require the lender to assess the borrowers ability to repay the mortgage successfully.  Your requested terms eliminate the possibility for them to do so.

Keep renting until you get your self together from a qualification standpoint to purchase.  In 2-3 years, you're likely to find better deals in the states you are interested in anyway.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    You need to stabilize your your ability to borrower in the conventional lending arena by continuing to rent your primary residence until you have 2 years of tax returns and income history.  There is no loan for you now under the terms (no income verification / no doc) that you seek, for an owner occupied transaction, unless you have a family member willing to provide the money.  All manner of consumer mortgage loans require the lender to assess the borrowers ability to repay the mortgage successfully.  Your requested terms eliminate the possibility for them to do so.

    Keep renting until you get your self together from a qualification standpoint to purchase.  In 2-3 years, you're likely to find better deals in the states you are interested in anyway.

  • Bluffton SC · Member since 2015 · 199 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed what you need is to find a property where the owner is offering seller financing. With a 20-25% down payment I'm sure you would be able to find lots of people willing to help in your situation. Expect to pay close to 10% interest rate though. Look up Craig's list there should be people offering seller financing there. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 68 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    Contact Capital Direct Funding. www.capitaldf.com. They do hard money loan to owner occupied properties. I haven't worked with them before. Got a referral from an experienced investor. The company is in LA, California. Not idea if they loan money to properties in NY. 

  • Azusa, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    i know of a few private or hard money lenders that lend on stated income. Pm me

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.