Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Useing others credit for a mortgage

Posted Apr 27 2022, 10:14

If anyone could help me I would truly appreciate it.

The problem: 

Looking to buy my first home/investment property. I just recently (within 6 months) declared bankruptcy. I have decent enough amount of money for a down payment but don't believe I'll be able to get a loan on account of the bankruptcy. 

I would like to use my fiances name to aquire the mortgage. Her credit is 760 but nothing really as far as savings. And income is about 36,000 annually.

The question:

Is it possible for her to use my income on a loan? Or for me to give her my savings?

Any thoughts, tips, ideas?

User Stats

Votes
Jocelyn Kaufman
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Utah
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Utah
Replied Apr 27 2022, 10:19

I would talk with your lender and see if you can both co-sign and how that would look. Then your lender can run the loan in each of your names and can tell you how it would be best.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Apr 27 2022, 12:12

She would have to be the guarantor of the loan. If you are not planning to live in it, it is possible to qualify based on the rental income of the property. Have you consulted with other Mortgage Brokers on this situation yet? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Apr 27 2022, 13:52

@Gerald Nurczyk Jr- you are  correct that your recent BK will preclude you  from getting financing  ..there may be some unique  programs  out there  but these will be  very pricey and limited to find ....the normal waiting period for a BK is 2 or 4 yrs  depending on the type of BK ....you can  certianly  transfer your savings to her  and let it  season for several months so that she can use it  but  you cant  use  your income on her application  ( unless you are on the application)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2022, 07:14

Erik Estrada 

We are planning on living in the property. The first one in mind is a reasonably priced SFH zoned commercial with room for the front half to become work area for her massage therapy clients. She currently is still working W2 so no reportable income from massages besides W2. We have only spoke to 1 loan officer recommended by the realtor.

I belive that with light to moderate rehab I could dramatically increase property value. (Currently listed at 75,000) Similar comps in area average 140,000. 

I have about 10% of down payment with similar reserve in 401k/IRA and ability to borrow the other 10% from family member. Just really not sure how to give that money to her so she could qualify.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2022, 07:16

Dave Skow

If I took my savings account and made it a joint account with her would she be able to use the money? If so would there still be a seasoning period? Also would there be any tax implications for doing something like this?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Apr 28 2022, 15:49

@Gerald Nurczyk Jr  1) yes -possibly  ,,,, any lender  will  want to see  where the  funds for a new  account derived from 2)   dont think there is any tax  implication  but  check  with  an accountant or CPA  to be  certain

User Stats

Votes
Carlton Blair Kutas
  • Investor
  • Denton, Tx.
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denton, Tx.
Replied May 4 2022, 03:47

As Dave said your biggest hurdle is going to be you being on the loan. If y'all share finances and have an account she is not on, you could look at gifting her the down payment and reserves, having her on the loan, but both on the title. I would talk with a lender more verse in Illinois as I am not aware of any state quirks they might have. Depending on the home you're looking to purchase she might be able to qualify by herself.

User Stats

Votes
Jake McVey
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied May 4 2022, 05:46
Quote from @Gerald Nurczyk Jr:

If anyone could help me I would truly appreciate it.

The problem: 

Looking to buy my first home/investment property. I just recently (within 6 months) declared bankruptcy. I have decent enough amount of money for a down payment but don't believe I'll be able to get a loan on account of the bankruptcy. 

I would like to use my fiances name to aquire the mortgage. Her credit is 760 but nothing really as far as savings. And income is about 36,000 annually.

The question:

Is it possible for her to use my income on a loan? Or for me to give her my savings?

Any thoughts, tips, ideas?

Gerald, Id recommend simply talking to a few lenders and explaining your situation.  Being engaged you may be able to gift her the money and keep your name off the loan... but that's of course dependent on the lender.  I'm a realtor in the south suburbs near you and have a few awesome lenders in the area I'm happy to recommend if you'd like.  

User Stats

Votes
Mark Faustrum
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Elgin, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Elgin, IL
Replied May 4 2022, 17:51

Hey @Gerald Nurczyk Jr I am going to tag in @Zack Karp he and his team are rockstar lenders in Illinois and he will have the answer to your questions.

Mark