Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Primary or investment?

Posted

Should I acquire a loan on primary residence loan before an investment property? Seems like time is only thing holding me back from a loan, but dont want to get to point where I qualify for primary and can no longer get accepted for an investment loan.

User Stats

Votes
Dave G.
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

@Christopher Tokarski do a house hack and kill two birds with one loan.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Bang
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas; Arizona
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas; Arizona
Replied

Grant Cardone would say investment property first,  Dave Ramsey would say primary residence first, then pay if off and stay out of debt.  Robert Kiyosaki would say "debt is an asset"  get on a loan on both and 10 other properties.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

Most lenders will take into account if you own your primary residence before issuing a loan for an investment property. A better alternative is owning your primary first then once your property appreciates in value, do a cash-out refinance and buy your investment property. If you are renting, we work with some lenders that can finance without owning your primary residence. The catch is higher credit score requirements, proof of funds, and higher rates. Ultimately, it's up to you.

User Stats

Votes
Masha Rizzi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied

Echoing what @Erik Estrada said - some lenders do take your primary residence lean into account before doing a loan for an investment property. 

If possible, a good alternative would be to purchase a primary residence that you can house hack either as a multi-fam or renting out a section of the house (My first primary home and house hack, I found a place where the 2nd floor could be made into an entirely seperate unit for the time I was there and then converted back and rented as a large multi-family home). 

Loans on your primary home also tend to have lower interest and downpayment requirements that a loan for an investment. 

So ideally (depending on your area), purchase a primary you can house hack with a primary residence loan, complete any renovations or updates, then do a cashout refi to purchase the next investment, 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

@Masha Rizzi Very well said!