Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason Cano
  • Contractor
  • Harlingen, TX
Votes |
Who are the Best Real Estate (Coah / Mentors) ???

Jason Cano
  • Contractor
  • Harlingen, TX
Posted

I am a Real Estate Broker in Texas and I am looking to increase by business. Has anyone payed for coaching or a mentor program for (Brokers / Agents)?

I have read,heard about programs and coaching offered by-

-Craig Proctor
-Mike Ferry
-Bryan Buffini

I am interested in increasing listings and developing systems and team approach. I dont want to be tied down working 70 hours oer week. Can anyone please suggest a great coach/mentor?

Thank You

User Stats

Votes
Gary Parker
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

I like "Mastering The Art Of Listing Real Estate" by Tom Hopkins. It is a set of CD's or mp3s. http://www.tomhopkins.com/p/1001.html

Gary Buys Houses Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Quarles
Professional Services
#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied

Who was it who said "if you want to be successful do what successful people do"?

I would interview the top ten agents in your area, fake listing kind of thing, take 30 days to see who did what and why. Then determine which one or two strategies fit your personality.

When done evaluating then take action. Too many of the large trainers are training for the large concencous not your individual need.

As you take action certain realities will present themselves. The main one is that a mentor is more of an accountability coach than instructional.

Success is about drive not logos offices and certainly not about your teacher.

Word of caution. Once you pick your strategy stick to it. It will most likely feel uncomfortable and feel unsuccessful in the beginning.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied
Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
Who was it who said "if you want to be successful do what successful people do"?

So, if I want to be an awesome direct marketer I need to shave my head? ;)

User Stats

Votes
Michael Quarles
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied

JScott

I only shave the bottom half. Besides I already think youre an awesome direct marketer, hair or no hair.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied

I only shave the bottom half. Besides I already think youre an awesome direct marketer, hair or no hair.

Sweet...then I'm keeping the hair... :)

And while I still have a long way to go to be an awesome direct marketer, you deserve much of the credit for my early learning and success, Michael...thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied
So, if I want to be an awesome direct marketer I need to shave my head? ;)

No but cool sunglasses might help. ;-)

One of my agent friends followed the proctor system and thought it was great.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied

I would interview the top ten agents in your area, fake listing kind of thing, take 30 days to see who did what and why. Then determine which one or two strategies fit your personality.

When done evaluating then take action. Too many of the large trainers are training for the large concencous not your individual need.

As you take action certain realities will present themselves. The main one is that a mentor is more of an accountability coach than instructional.

Success is about drive not logos offices and certainly not about your teacher.

Word of caution. Once you pick your strategy stick to it. It will most likely feel uncomfortable and feel unsuccessful in the beginning.

Wow. It looks like you just got free coaching from Michael Quarles.

If you're still single, why don't you get coaching on how to marry a rich wife? You'd be set for life. Just keep her happy and hit the gym everyday. John Kerry would be a good coach on this. No, not hitting the gym part. :)

Kidding aside. Craig Proctor is about marketing. Mike Ferry is about prospecting, and Brian Buffini is about referrals. Which one fits your style?

Marketing is expensive. The other two methods don't cost much money.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied

Jason -
All I have to say is to make sure you do your diligence on ANY coaching program. Far too many coaching programs in the real estate niche rely on underlings to do the "coaching." I'm not implying this on the folks you've mentioned, as I do not have any insight on these, however I would make certain that wherever you turn -- if you elect to pay for some coaching program -- be certain that you're learning from someone qualified. Certainly you can find that out by asking before putting down a dime.

Far too often, people sign up for a coach and find out that they aren't even being coached by that person or even someone with an ounce of first-hand experience.

If I was paying an expert in a field, large sums of money to coach me, I would want their personal time and energy applied directly at me or I'd feel like I was getting taken . . . but that's just me.

Good luck, and hopefully you find the guy you're looking for . . . perhaps even one of the 3 you mention will turn out to be them.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied

Hi Jason Cano,

One of my personal friends is Brian Rodgers out of Hutchinson,Kansas.

He is my age in his 30's and has sold over a billion in real estate volume.

We are part of a group where there is not a GURU or any of that crap.We are all equals and bounce ideas off the group in a private setting not open to the public to push boundaries and grow our business to higher levels.

Some mentioned Proctor and others and Brian was teaching stuff before him.He was the second person to teach call capture systems and creations behind Terry Hunefeld.

He is the only one I know that when challenged on his technology sold over 318 properties in one year using one assistant.

These squeeze pages and all of the stuff he was doing way before then as lead capture pages.

Whoever you learn from make sure they are cutting edge and not just repackaging crap and selling it.The stuff I see today is just rehashed stuff ripped off from the true innovators.

The funny thing is that by the time they have copied you on one thing you are 5 steps ahead of them with new things they do not even know about.

Brian mainly works on his technology companies these days and is not actively selling this year.

You first need to DEFINE Jason what KIND of life you want?? Then when you answer that question you can begin to narrow down your selected path in real estate.

For me I enjoy commercial real estate,analyzing deals,and working with investors of which I also am one.

I do not do residential real estate (houses). I enjoy my schedule and freedom to live how I want.

I do not like the team thing.I like one on one service.They hire me they get me and are not passed off like a number to someone with less experience.That's just how I do business.

Good luck