Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
William Laurent
  • Wholesaler
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Votes |
Access to MLS (Assistant log in)

William Laurent
  • Wholesaler
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Posted
Hi everybody. My name is William Laurent. I need to connect with some active agent who will be able to discuss with me the possibility to give me access to MLS like a "Assistant ", I know that this is very common procedure, and I'm really interesting because I need get information from MLS frequently to analyze different points of my deals. I'm able to do it a win - win relation for both. I'll really appreciate your contact. Thanks so much. Regards. William

User Stats

Votes
John Rogers
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Davenport, FL
Replied

The analogy here is going to Denny's with your own bacon & eggs and asking if you can use their grill for a few minutes.

A better strategy might be to find an investor friendly Brokerage that will do that for you as a service in exchange for your business.

It costs an agent a considerable amount of money at start-up and in annual fees to be able to do what you want to do for free...

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied

Assistant access is limited to people who are actually assistants...you must be employed by the agent. If you were not their employee, the agent would lose their license for giving you access.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Greg H.
Pro Member
  • Broker/Flipper
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Broker/Flipper
  • Austin, TX
ModeratorReplied

To expand on what John already said the regarding the costs is the huge liability for the Broker. The Broker is 100% responsible for the actions of their assistant.  When the assistant gets sued the Broker no doubt will be named as well .  I cannot imagine why any Broker would let an investor/wholesaler/flipper  be an assistant as the risk far outweighs any reward

User Stats

Votes
David Hunter
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Bahahahaha!!! Good luck with that! And, you think it's a very common procedure for agents just to let you access their MLS accounts like an assistant?!! BAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't think any agent/broker is crazy enough to risk losing their license to let you access the local MLS.

Plus, here in Ohio assistants have to take a class before the local MLS will give them access.

User Stats

Votes
William Laurent
  • Wholesaler
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Replied

Thank @John Rogers @Russell Brazil @Greg H.

I'll really appreciate your comments, and just starting so that's why I asked to the experts, thanks.

I'm glad to make you laught so much @David Hunter thanks for your advice.

Success.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied

@William Laurent - If you just shoot your agent a quick email "hey agent, I'm looking at 123 Main St... can you run a quick CMA for me?" they will in general be happy to do that assuming you are serious and not a time waster.

@Russell Brazil @David Hunter to confirm or refute. :)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
William Laurent
  • Wholesaler
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Replied

Got  it @Chris Mason thanks.  I'm focus now on create my team, and definitely it has to include a couple of good and friendly agents.  I'm doing my homework.

Thanks again for your advice.

User Stats

Votes
Jordas Reyes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Naples, FL
Replied

Not trying to start back up debate of license vs no license but this to me is one of those examples of where to me it's great to have. Since I'm not a licensed agent I use the agent I used for my personal residence two years ago. He typically never minds doing a cma for me because I would use him for purchase in exchange. With not many transaction under my belt I like having his support. Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Beaver
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
  • Malden, MA
Replied

Russell Brazil why is it that in certain investor books, they mention getting listings from the MLS (specifically from the agent). Is it that the agent is allowed to print out a listing of properties to give to investors but not specifically give access?

One of my learning steps was to meet with a real estate agent and obtain a listing of properties (or whatever I can get) from the MLS.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of information would be provided just yet.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied
Originally posted by @Andrew Beaver:

Russell Brazil why is it that in certain investor books, they mention getting listings from the MLS (specifically from the agent). Is it that the agent is allowed to print out a listing of properties to give to investors but not specifically give access?

One of my learning steps was to meet with a real estate agent and obtain a listing of properties (or whatever I can get) from the MLS.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of information would be provided just yet.

Agents can email listings to people. What we email has about 95% of the information that is in the MLS, however there is certaino information in it that is absolutely private that can not be disclosed to laymen.