Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
A Texas RE License Journey

Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Posted Jul 28 2015, 20:05

I'm going to use this thread to hold myself accountable, and hopefully help anyone else who may learn from my experiences!

After launching my own website in 2012, Go To Thread Here...

Dabbling in direct mail with @Jerry Puckett in 2013-2014...

Working leads for @John Chapman & @Jon Klaus over the last 3 years...

And sending out some more mail in 2015...

I'm ready to take the next logical step for me in my real estate career.

The "License Timeline" starts in the next post. 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 11 2015, 20:29

RE License Timeline - Taking The Test!

8/11/2015 - Took the State Exam Prep Pre-Test. Scored 76%.  This one came with a workbook.  Didn't have to waste 86 pages of my own paper and ink. :)

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 12 2015, 11:27

8/12/2015 - Got my fingerprinting scheduled for Friday at 12:10 at a gun range in FW.  Cost will be $40.  I'm not sure how long it takes them to get the background check back.  Hopefully not long.  I'm ready to get to work!

Working on exam prep videos to "cram" before I leave to go take the test in a couple hours.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Anderson
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Aug 27 2015, 13:26

@Shane Woods this is the BEST post regarding RE licensing in TX on BP. Thank you so much for sharing! 

I didn't see an update on sitting for the state exam and what your results were. Did you share them elsewhere?

I especially appreciate you sharing your process of choosing a broker to hang your license with. Invaluable.  

I'm moving to Tyler/Longview/East Texas area in November, and thinking I should start studying for my TX license now, online, and shooting for scheduling my exam for after the new year. (Although I welcome any and all thoughts and advice on this plan). 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:07

Hey @Carrie Anderson,

Thank you for the poke.  :)  I had been dragging my feet updating this because I've been crazy busy with some other work, and I have to "come clean" about my oopsies. :)

It's funny how things work out.  And how being organized is very important. Common sense right?  You'd think. :)

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:09

8/14/15 - Scheduled to get fingerprinted - woops.....got busy with some work stuff and completely missed this appointment.  Luckily I opted for the Pay onsite option.  It didn't cost me any money, just scheduling delays. Didn't even remember I had this appointment until later...

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:12

8/20/15 - Test Time! ...  No?  DOH!  - Scheduled my test for this evening after work.  Drove the 40 miles in traffic to the test site, got inside, and didn't have the proper ID.  Couldn't take the test.  My $54 and $20 in gas, and several hours in DFW traffic down the drain.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:17

8/22/15 - Taking the test! - Paid another $54, drove the 60 miles to the test site, luckily it was Saturday with very little traffic.  Had the correct ID, feeling good.  Went in, took the test.  Finished in about an hour and a half. We were given 4 hours total.  They don't give out scores, just a pass/fail, and I PASSED!!!!!

The paperwork generated says it may take up to 10 days for the state to process my scores.

I also rescheduled my fingerprinting for Monday, 8/31/15.

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Anderson
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:20

Glad I could be off service! Lol

awww poop! I was certain you were going to post that you took it and passed 1 st try.

So. Any recommendations for me, regarding course vendor, my own timeline, etc? Are or have you taken any exam prep classes? Are you still going to the broker meetings? I guess I have some research to start doing, for a shop to hang my shingle with. I do plan on actively working as an agent, rather than getting my license strictly for the investor benefits. 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:26

RE License Timeline The Waiting Game

8/23/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found

8/24/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found

8/25/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found

8/26/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found

8/27/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found

And the waiting continues...

I set up a meeting in the morning with my Broker to just sit and talk about procedural stuff. Such as exactly what is her process for setting up a listing. What does she require the agent to do/say? What listing form do I use? How do I get signed up with NAR and the two boards I'll be a member of. Where do I get lockboxes & sign riders?

All the important little stuff so I can just jump right in as soon as I'm official.

User Stats

Votes
James Palin
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:41

Congrats. I am about to take my test as well. What are the correct forms of ID? DL, passport, SS card?

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Anderson
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Aug 27 2015, 19:44

She hasn't had you shadow any agents yet? No one has walked you through a deal? On second thought, probably not until after test results, and she makes sure you don't bolt lol. 

Have you decided on a niche? Do you have cards? (Now I'm just being a pest 😉)

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 20:03

@James Palin, yep those and/or Credit Cards.  All I had was my license that day.  Hurts to say it.  I took my debit & credit cards out at home that morning.  Didn't put them back in.

@Carrie Anderson you're not being a pest.  I've asked tons of questions on here. 

As far as shadowing agents, I could have been.  But this is such a small office, they're not all really busy right now.  And I've had to manage my time vs. actually making money.  I'm self employed now, and until my agency takes off, I'm bouncing between Audio Visual contract work (my previous profession) and contract investor marketing assistance work.  I'm sure I'll be doing lots of shadowing once I'm "official". 

The walking me through a deal is part of what I want to talk about tomorrow.  Just the nuts and bolts of how she likes it done.  Let's face it, she's old.  She likes it her way.  I don't want to rock the boat. :)

With regard to what education to take, I can't answer that.  I know how I work, and the actual study at home BOOKS were best for me.  I knew that after I looked at the options, and it worked well.  I finished the course work in a month.  I used Kaplan, and they have 3 types.  Book study, online test, which is what I did.  Online everything, and then an actual classroom option.  And many community colleges offer real estate education as well.  You'll just have to poke around and see what feels right to you.

I did not do any exam prep except the online Pre tests for national and state, provided with my package through Kaplan. And I watched one review video on a subject I was struggling with.  Which was the Texas Real Estate Commission and their makeup, duties, abilility to suspend, how they do what they do with regard to complaints, etc.  Kaplan had a LOT of review videos & corresponding workbooks.  But I did well enough on the pre-test to only need to watch that one review section.  Then I took the test. :)

In the last 3 weeks they've only had 1 broker meeting, and I didn't get to go because I was working.  I'll play ketchup tomorrow. :)

The best thing you can do is figure out your education plan and start.   The rest will happen as you make it.  But get started! Don't wait.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 27 2015, 20:04

Oh, no cards yet because I want to get a professional shot done, and I don't have a License number yet.  Nor a good copy of the brokerage company logo.

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Anderson
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Aug 28 2015, 16:08

@Shane and @James, don't forget to share your exam results when you get them!

User Stats

Votes
Gary Wong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Allen, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Allen, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 13:53

Awesome post. I just recent got my Texas RE license too. The process was very time consuming. Congrats on your license!!!

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 31 2015, 12:39

@Carrie Anderson, I did share.  I passed.  :)

That's all we get in TX.  They printed my sheet off at the testing place.  The state just doesn't have my scores in their system yet. 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Aug 31 2015, 12:47

RE License Timeline The Waiting Game

8/28/15 - Meeting with Broker - Still no exam scores found :( - spent the morning with the broker.  She took me to 3 houses. One was a very nice 5 year old house they just listed.  I put a sign up for her, and took a hammer to a non-funcitoning iBox.  It works now.  And we resuced the captive key.  Great looking house inside and out.  Already has a full price offer.  We also looked at another property a different agent in the office has listed for too much.  They need to do about $7K worth of work to get what they're asking.  Or they need to drop the price again.  For those interested, it needs the following:

Exterior: Paint Shutters & Power Wash all the vinyl

Interior: Replace Carpet, Paint Walls & Ceiling, Replace switchplates & outlet covers, Paint doors & trim

Unpermitted enclosed patio: Relocate Electric Meter to exterior of home.

We also put a sign & lockbox on another property which currently has a tenant.  They want to stay, but seller wants to sell and not renew their lease.

She also took me to the Metro West Board of Realtors office to meet the "local Board lady."  We talked about lots of nuts and bolts stuff about how she likes deals to run, and office culture.

8/31/15 - Still no exam scores found :( - got fingerprinted today

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Anderson
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Sep 1 2015, 23:12
Originally posted by @Shane Woods:

@Carrie Anderson, I did share.  I passed.  :)

That's all we get in TX.  They printed my sheet off at the testing place.  The state just doesn't have my scores in their system yet. 

Somehow I missed that one. Congrats!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah T.
  • MPA
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • MPA
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Sep 2 2015, 00:15

I can't even... Going through the process in TX right now too and this post... Just... THANK. YOU.

:)

User Stats

Votes
Eric T.
  • Pearland, TX
Votes |
  • Pearland, TX
Replied Sep 2 2015, 12:37

Hey @Shane Woods

I am curious what you think about starting with Keller Williams? Do you think their fee/commission/training program for new agents on par or surpass others? 

If anyone else have experience, please share. 

Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Lefebvre
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Manchester, NH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Manchester, NH
Replied Sep 2 2015, 12:47

@Eric T. I recently started with KW and the education they provide is phenomenal.  Their "in-office" training is great, and their national events are incredible.  Although the commission split does vary from state to state, they always implement a "cap" so after you pay a certain amount of commission to the company, it "caps" and you receive 100% commission.  I'd love to chat with you about KW if you have any more questions!

User Stats

Votes
Maurice Brantley
  • Realtor & Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor & Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 2 2015, 14:34

Awesome thread. I recently acquired my Texas RE license here in Houston a couple of months ago and Joined Keller Williams Metropolitan in the Galleria Area. I absolutely love the broker and the people there. The training is great and there's always people I can go to for any help. Now the real work starts with lead generation and churning the wheels to get deals done and building a client base.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Sep 2 2015, 15:46

I'M OFFICIAL!!!

9/1/15 - Received an email late last night that I saw first thing this morning telling me I have been issued an "inactive" license.  Which means they don't have record of broker sponsorship.  Remember earlier in the thread I mentioned I had her send off the letter the day after I applied.  I guess they didn't get it....And I'll have to mess with the online process to add her sponsorship......

9/2/15 - 733am I recieved another email making me feel much better. It was my actual active license. :) I'm 100% officially a Texas Licensed Real Estate Salesperson. I also went down to the Greater West Metro Association of Realtors to pay my dues, and get my MLS Access set up. I have a meeting set up tomorrow to watch a video on using Matrix (our MLS software), and some other things.

For those in the Parker County area, fees are as follows:

Yearly Dues $500 or so after $150 setup fee  (mine were prorated of course)

MLS Access $150 or so per quarter

Supra Key (if desired) $60/quarter after $30 setup fee.  

Once I'm done with everything tomorrow, I'll make a new thread detailing the CORRECT process to follow for anyone who wants to get a license in TX :)

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Sep 2 2015, 15:52

You started in June and finished before Labor Day - Congratulations!

What was the most surprising thing you learned about the process? And what was the most surprising thing you learned about real estate transactions?

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Sep 2 2015, 15:56

@Eric T.

My 1st choice was Keller Williams.  They're great for investor-minded agents.  And it seemed like the training was going to be awesome!  

But my gut told me to have a followup conversation with my broker, and I'm glad I did.  It's just a better fit for me.

I'm sure KW would have been fantastic if I had the time to dedicate to their "programs" on the front end, but I just don't.  Everyone has their fit, and if you have time to do their training, and don't mind paying for a desk, it's probably great for you too :)

With Rutledge Real Estate in Weatherford, I get a simple 70/30 split for now.  No desk or office fees of any kind.  Negotiable office hours, and so far no intra-office ugliness.  Just 3 agents and the broker, all from different generations and backgrounds.  And I pay the Realtor Board fees directly, no broker mark-up.

Small office, but over 100 years of experience in the 4 people there.  Pretty awesome!