Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Dual Licensing: As a Realtor is it worth getting your NMLS mortgage broker license?

AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Posted Jun 1 2024, 11:12

The short answer to whether licensed real estate brokers/agents should obtain their NMLS mortgage broker license is: Yes. 

I began my RE career in 2003 during the 'boom' times as a mortgage broker. It was my first real career (after series 7 licensed securities broker) and I was usually dealing with investors from the previous generation. 

Fast forward twenty years and (maybe a $100M in cumulative real estate transactions later) and I'm still advising investors on asset management, typically focused on real estate as an agent OR mortgage broker, but conversely with clientele of my own age group with similar goals. 

For those Real Estate Professionals focused on the transactional side of real estate and (not licensed or experienced with real estate financing) I'm not sure how you are doing it? Even as a seller focused or listing broker, providing investors with live mortgage rates, programs and accurate resources has proven essential to maximizing transactional incentive and client conversion throughout the years..

Although I've never actually executed dual duties on any single transactions (and don't think most investors want to entrust that responsibility to a individual party - nor would I want it!) the majority of clients we work with as a real estate representative utilize one of our preferred lenders. As a licensed mortgage broker I'm further compliantly (and confidently) able to provide mortgage insight and direct the customer to the most suitable lending partner or program.  

A substantial portion of my real estate transactions 'work' because the borrower was paired with a lender offering unique qualification or feasible terms that meet or exceed the investors original ROI, COC, down payment or general investment goals.

Examples: Medical Professional Financing (stronger rates and limited down), low down payments of 3.5-10% on jumbo primary, second home or investment properties, 10% down for investment properties of 1-4 units (with no PMI) and portfolio or private loans with attractive ARM or seller carried rates we negotiated.

Without being a licensed mortgage professional some of these tools would not be available or more likely at the disposal of the marketplace and the 'research' or relationships they've cultivated with statistically limited mortgage experience..even as a professional great mortgage brokers and companies are hard to find...With 65%+ of residential transactions still involving a loans, real estate professionals with expertise in real estate financing will deliver enhanced value to their clients.  

In comparison to annual MLS dues, the cost of obtaining an NMLS license is negligible, and more importantly the value of expertise it provides clients is net positive investment for time and expense. It takes 30-45 days, can be done online and needs to be renewed annually. State costs vary, but more or less should be +/- $750-1000 to get obtain your NMLS mortgage license (with courses) and most states permit dual licensing in which brokers can be legally compensated on both sides of a transaction.

I'd be very cautious about performing dual capacities in any single transaction for two reasons: 1. Successful real estate representation is hard 2. Closing loans is hard. I don't know how difficult it is to simultaneously execute because I've not personally done so. But twenty years of mortgage experience and cohesion as a licensed mortgage resource does two things for my clients and real estate business: 1. Amplifies performance. 2.  No - No Clear to Closes.  

Fathom Realty  Logo

Loading replies...